Please sign in to post.

Easter in London

Planning a trip to London to include Good Friday and Easter Sunday, and although a quick Google search tells me that they are public holidays with most sights open including the Tube, I wanted to check it against first-hand experience. Is this a terrible time to be in London, or manageable with the understanding that it will a holiday weekend so expect as such. We (husband and two kindergarten-age kids) would look forward to partake in any holiday activities, especially on Sunday. Would we be able to find a place to eat on Sunday? Also, is Easter Monday a thing there, and if so, would it disrupt transportation much (planning to train it out to Paris that day). Thank you in advance!

Posted by
16234 posts

I have enjoyed three Easter Sundays in London, one in 1967 (where I was fortunate to see the Easter parade) and two more recently (1998 and 2003). I do not remember it being significantly more crowded than on other holidays, but perhaps it has changed since my last Easter visit. These days it always seems pretty crowded in London, but we always love it. (Last visit was this past May/June).

I do remember the parks at Easter being especially beautiful, with masses of daffodils.

There is an event on Easter Monday, which I will mention for the benefit of others who might be there, although it will not be possible for you. There is a parade of horses (and ponies and donkeys) in harness, pulling carts or carriages. This takes place a bit out of London in West Sussex, but the website give details on travel by train (45 minutes from Victoria Station).

http://www.lhhp.co.uk/

If I were going to be in London in early April I wouldn't miss it!

Posted by
8660 posts

Feast of St. George will take place in Trafalgar Square. I'd check the Eurostar website regarding train service. Nigel, there wouldn't be a problem would there? Yes, you will find places to eat and who knows, if you booked an Easter package deal at a hotel the cost of Easter Dinner might be included.

Posted by
32738 posts

No problem with Eurostar. From the 29th of March the full service will be running.

The trains will be VERY busy that weekend. Get reservations ASAP.

Posted by
16893 posts

Eurostar.com has tickets for sale now for April 6, so book soon for the best available price. Service plans rarely change once tickets are sold, unless there's an emergency.