Please sign in to post.

Driving out of Heathrow

How difficult is it to drive out of Heathrow towards the Cotswalds? Should we rent the GPS or use our downloaded Google maps? Thank you.

Posted by
6570 posts

Within 5 minutes you’ll be on the interstate heading west. Follow the signs to the M4 or M40 depending on where in the Cotswolds you’re heading. To get to the M40 you’ll be on the M25 for a couple miles. Using downloaded google maps for offline use, works fine. No need to rent a GPS.
I own a GPS with European maps, and use downloaded google maps, and I do have a paper map.

Posted by
888 posts

I'd go with the gps for sure. Driving on the left in an unfamiliar country and congested traffic area ---- I'll take all the help I can get.

Posted by
4884 posts

Lol. This question brought back memories. DH got lost just trying to get out of Heathrow after picking up our rental. We must have driven around for half an hour before finding the right exit. By all means use a GPS. DH will listen to directions from our GPS. Me, not so much.

Our trip in The Cotswolds was quite a few years ago, before Google Maps was a thing. Using a paper map got us lost a few times, but that was mainly due to defective map reading skills. But it was a great adventure.

Posted by
2424 posts

Look at the map on the link. Heathrow will appear on the right and the M4 and M40 heading off to the west for The Cotswolds. Put in the search box (see blue symbol with white arrow) your destination in The Cotswolds and then put in Heathrow Airport. Possible routes should then show up. (When you click the link, I have enabled it to show traffic flows at the time you click it. So, click in the middle of the night UK time and you will think that not much traffic is present). I would also take a look at the roads on Streetview and even ‘drive’ (on the left) through major junctions just to see what it is like.https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5132462,-0.7863555,11.57z/data=!5m1!1e1

Posted by
8682 posts

Have done it more than once. Pretty darn easy especially as your rental agencies aren’t at Heathrow but on a perimeter road.

I never use GPS but that’s a personal preference.

Instead i look use Google street view and make note of town names that I should pass in route to my final destination. I then look at the route and what the exit signs say so I’ll know the sign when I see it. I also pay attention to my odometer. That’s how I roll.

Safe drive.