Please sign in to post.

driver in London

I have wondering who you would recommend for a driver from Heathrow to do a day tour and then to my hotel. I will have 2 large suitcases and a large golf bag. I do not want a mini van. I would like a car of some sort to take me around. There will be 2 of us. I would like the driver to take around London.

Posted by
107 posts

That's known locally as a taxi.

Airport transfers are available from the likes of BlackBerry.

If you want a taxi look out for one with its light on and stick out a hand.

The Tube is quicker and much cheaper.

Posted by
14944 posts

You need to get a qualified guide who can only drive a vehicle for hire. There are companies of licensed taxi drivers who are also guides. I have never used one so I can't recommend any one company.

You will have to check to make sure the vehicle can handle all of your luggage. Remember, the vehicles in the UK are generally smaller than in the U.S.

Posted by
1323 posts

I don’t think you’re going to get what you want. Getting a car service from Heathrow to your hotel is easy. They’ll certainly be able to get you from point A to point B, but it would be quite unlikely they’ll be experts on history or local attractions and certainly won’t take a scenic route.

There may be separate companies that offer driving tours of London attractions once you’re at your hotel, but expect it to be pricey and just drive bys. London traffic is horrible and there’s no place for the car to stop while you get a photo.

Posted by
68 posts

To hire someone to drive you around all day, stopping at sights and giving you a narrative would be extremely expensive and may not even be available.
Best to get from Heathrow to your hotel as quickly as possible. You will be able to leave your luggage there if you are too early to check in. Then book an open top double decker bus that tours the main sights of London. There will be a guide, often multi lingual. Some you can even get off if you like to explore somewhere and get a following one to resume your tour. These are called hop off, hop on (HOHO). Lots of choice on t'internet.

Posted by
5256 posts

If you simply want to be driven around London in order to get your bearings or a glimpse of some of the major sights then it'll be far cheaper and just as effective to get a taxi (not a black cab) or tube from Heathrow to your hotel, deposit your luggage and then get on a bus. If you manage to secure a seat at the top (even better if it's at the front) then you'll have a better view than if you were in a car. The journey is going to be slow and continuously interrupted but that's London traffic for you.

Posted by
10 posts

Hi Annalee,

So, yes it can be costly but I do know a lot of travellers do get picked up at LHR and then taken on a guided tour of London and see the sights they specifically want to see and then finish off at their hotel. There are some brilliant guides out there and they come known as Blue Badge Guide registered. My recommendation would be to look here: https://www.driver-guides.org.uk/ as this should help you.

Thanks and enjoy! Chris