Please sign in to post.

Day trips from London?

Hello,
My husband and I will be in London at the end of July for four days. We are wondering if there are any day trips that are recommended, by train? Also, Is four days too long/short in London? We are spending a week in northern Italy after.

Posted by
320 posts

We spent 10 days in London in the fall and still didn't see everything we wanted. As for day trips we took one to Cambridge which made for an excellent day.

Posted by
1582 posts

Hey Lauren,

You can day trip to Bath England, Stratford - upon- Avon , Oxford, and Cambridge. All these locations are a short train ride away from London. London should be given at least 5 days. Where in Northern Italy you guys are planning to go?

Posted by
3207 posts

You could spend 2 weeks in London and never need a day trip. Four days does not warrant a day trip. IMO.

Posted by
4121 posts

You can see a lot in 4 days but you could easily spend a week and still not see it all. I'd recommend some shorter day trips to places like Windsor Castle and Hampton Court Palace. Both about an hour away. Hampton Court was one of our favorites-it was Henry the VIII's house. This is strictly my opinion, but if I had 4 full days in London I'd spend day 1 at Tower of London, day 2 at Buckingham Palace and Westminster Abbey (take a London Walks tour for Westminster Abbey so you get the full effect of the history of the place). Day 3 at at St Paul's Cathedral and Museum of London (I feel that Museum of London is underrated but I'm probably in the minority). Day 4 Hampton Court Palace.

Posted by
593 posts

With only four days in London I’d spend all my time there.

For a change of pace from central London, you could spend a day in Hampstead (still London!) enjoying Hampstead Village, walking Hampstead Heath, and seeing Kenwood House. All doable by public transport (I use Citymapper to navigate tube and bus routes).

Similarly a day out in Greenwich also feels like you’ve left London even though you haven’t, and getting there (or back) by the Thames Clipper gives you a chance to experience being on the river and seeing London from that perspective. You can use your Oyster Card on the Clipper (it’s public transport not a narrated sightseeing boat).

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your visit.

Posted by
1222 posts

Like others have said if you only have 4 days spend them in London. Tower of London, London Walks, Westminster Abbey with verger tour, British Museum, British Library, St. Paul's Cathedral, do some of Rick's self-guided walks, see a show in the West End, see a show at the Globe Theatre as a groundling with your elbows on the stage, Hampton Court, Windsor Castle.

Posted by
1944 posts

Four days is nothing in London. If you want to see outlying neighborhoods, go on a walking tour with London Walks. You will be surprised how fast the time passes in London.

Posted by
2776 posts

I saw that someone recommended going to either Windsor or Hampton Court, which is both great places. It also said that they were an hour from London, I want to correct the time, they both are a 35-36 minutes train ride.

To get to Windsor.....leave from London Paddington Station, easy change in Slough...it’s a 35 minute ride.

To get to Hampton Court..leave from London Waterloo Station....it’s a 36 minute ride.

Edit.......I just saw where someone said to get off at Windsor & Eton Riverside...you don’t want off there, it doesn’t make sense to go to the Riverside Station., you would have to change twice and the second change would be at Windsor & Eton Central Station.

You want Windsor & Eton Central, as you exit the train, turn to your left, walk up to High Street and the castle is right there across the street.

Posted by
138 posts

Agree with going to Windsor Castle! While catching train from London Paddington make sure to get off on Windsor & Eton Riverside railway station.

Posted by
2604 posts

I agree with the suggestions for Windsor, or, if you have an interest in WWII possibly take the train--about 30 minutes--to Bletchley Park and tour the grounds and museum, with travel included budget about 4-5 hours.

Posted by
4684 posts

There are two railway stations in Windsor with no direct connection between them. Windsor and Eton Central is at the end of a branch line from Slough. You take the train from London Paddington and change at Slough, which is easy, and you can get a train non-stop to Slough. Windsor and Eton Riverside is at the end of a long suburban line from London Waterloo - the trains run all the way from London but they stop many times on the way and it's much slower.