Please sign in to post.

Day trips from London

My husband and I will be staying in London at the end of June. I am looking for a day trip to Bath and another one to Cotswold. I need a recommendation for a tour company. I am also thinking about staying overnight in Bath and then traveling to Cotswold. Any recommendations on where to stay in Bath? Hotel or B and B are good. Thank You. PS I don't need a 5-star hotel.

Posted by
852 posts

To be honest I can't recommend a day trip to the Cotswolds (note spelling). It is a large rural area some distance from London. Whether you take the train and then a tour or take a coach tour from London you will spend a long time getting there and back.
Staying overnight in Bath (although a good idea in itself) won't make a visit to the Cotswolds much better unless you are prepared to hire a car to get around.
There are some excellent day trips you can do whilst still staying more or less in London e.g Windsor, Hampton Court and particularly for me, Greenwich. Further afield Lee`s, Rye, Canterbury, Oxford or Cambridge all make for excellent day trips by train as well.

Posted by
14926 posts

If you decide to stay overnight in Bath, you can look into a Cotswolds tour with Mad Max Tours

I've taken a couple of one day tours with them. Highly recommended.

There are also free walking tours of Bath via official guides:

https://www.bathguides.org.uk/

It's an easy 90 minute train ride from London to Bath.

Posted by
27039 posts

The company MadMax runs small-group tours of the Cotswolds from Bath. Reports on the forum have been positive, and I enjoyed what I assume was a similar tour operated by GoCotswolds from Moreton-in-Marsh. You'll have brief stops in several small towns and also enjoy nice scenery along the way.

Whether you could spend just the previous night in Bath, take the tour, and then grab a train back to London I am not sure, but I imagine it would be possible. You can check the rail schedules for your travel day at www.nationalrail.co.uk.