Please sign in to post.

day trips from London

What are everyone's favorite day trips from London? I especially like history.

Posted by
9420 posts

I especially loved Hampton Court Palace, where Henry VIII and Elizabeth I lived. I have always been fascinated by that history and to be where a lot of it happened and where they lived was amazing for me.

Posted by
15589 posts

Hampton Court, definitely. I was fascinated by a day at Bletchley Park.

Posted by
359 posts

Keith, I'm still planning on Oxford! :) Very excited about it. Just thinking I want to do two or three different day trips this trip to London.

Posted by
359 posts

Hampton Court is definitely on my list too. I love any and all kinds of history.

Posted by
3391 posts

For a change from what everybody else does, try Hatfield House. One of my favorite estates in England. Lots of history, the family still lives there, and the grounds are beautiful. It's a nice day trip out from London!

Posted by
1021 posts

Chartwell, Winston Churchhill's home south of London.

Posted by
1540 posts

I used a book I bought a few years ago

Ten Best Day Trips from London - I see it is available on amazon.

I went on several of the trips and found it a great reference.

Posted by
100 posts

Hi there. Here's the advice I've given others...I've done 3 daytrips with the Evan Evans bus group. They run a good operation. The best was Windsor Castle/Bath/Stonehenge. Great for you. I also did Leeds Castle/Canterbury Cathedral/Dover....then also which was good....then Wawrick Castle/Stratford-on-Avon/Oxford which was nice.

But I also once went by train to Hampton Court on my own one day and loved it...great history, beautiful grounds.

Enjoy!

Posted by
956 posts

Toni, what a great article! That's helpful for me, too. Last time we went to London we went to Hampton Court Palace. I'm fascinated by Henry VIII and it was everything I hoped for. It was amazing to walk in the same place as Henry and all his wives!

Posted by
107 posts

Since there's history everywhere in England, you really can't make a bad choice.
Toni has a very thorough review, although I don't think he mentioned Cambridge.
My personal favorites are Windsor, Bath and Oxford. I haven't been to any of the country houses/palaces yet.
Bring an umbrella.

Posted by
15589 posts

If you are a fan of the Tudor era, another option is Hever Castle. This was the home of the Boleyns for a few generations and where Anne grew up. The family had to give it up at some point and it fell into disrepair. Then some millionaire bought it and restored it, complete with Italian gardens. It's not far from Chartwell (Churchill) and can be combined. I was taken by local friends so I don't know if public transportation is convenient.