Please sign in to post.

Day trip to London from Paris in March 2016

I am taking the Eurostar train from Paris to London for the day at the beginning of March 2016 and was looking at things to do. I saw a advertisement for Golden Tours Hop-On-Hop-Off tour that includes a crusie on the river Thames...is this recommended or is there a better tour that see the highlight in 1 day. Looks like I arrive in London at 10:39am and depart London at 6:31 pm. The description of the Golden Tour Hop-On-Hop-Off tour mentioned selecting also a selection of 2 walking tours, the Royal Walking tour or the Beatles London walking tour. I am a Beatles fan so I might enjoy this in addition.

Thanks for your comments.

Posted by
13955 posts

There are also Beatles Tours thru the very good company called London Walks at http://www.walks.com/ . It will depend on if they have one on the day you are going to London.

You do need to plan to be back to St. Pancras Eurostar Terminal by about 530.

It also kind of depends on what draws you to London as to whether you decide on a HOHO tour. I'm not a big cruise fan so I probably would not want to spend a couple of hours (time to get to dock where cruise leaves from, stand in line to board, cruise, get off boat which always seems to take more time than I think it should, lol) out of a maximum of about 7 hours on the ground in London on a boat. Others, including you, might find this a good usage of time!

Posted by
32795 posts

Just remember that when you are planning open top bus tours and boat tours in March you may run into some of the worse weather London has to offer in the year.

It has been exceedingly warm so far this winter but there is just a chance that there will be a sting in the tail.

Maybe not, but if you pay ahead for those things have you got a contingency plan if it is sheeting rain?

So much of what London offers is indoors and that is particularly handy in bad weather. Most of it is free,too.

You can easily get on an open bus tour when you arrive if the weather gods smile on you. You walk up to a Big Red Bus tour at any of their stops without prebooking.

Posted by
971 posts

To be honest the idea of 'doing' London as a day trip from Paris sounds like a waste of time in my mind. London is a world class destination with so much to offer that a day (or half a day since most of it is spend in transit) won't do it justice. Besides there is plenty to do in Paris anyway, your time will be better spend there, not to mention your money, since the eurostar ain't cheap.

Posted by
1175 posts

You've booked a later train from Paris which costs you two hours in London. To save time upon arrival in London, select a carriage with the smallest number just behind the 1st class coaches. You will arrive with just a short walk to find transportation ahead of the 300+ other passengers and avoid a long wait in line. You will have a long hike to reach your carriage on the outbound leg since the Eurostar is 100+ meters long. Select the lowest number coach for seats on the return leg to Paris for the same reason. You might wait to book any tours since you can easily find one upon arrival and the weather may preclude touring on open-top vehicles or a boat ride on the Thames.

Posted by
1069 posts

Don't forget that there is a 1 hour time difference between Paris and London (Paris 1 hour ahead).

Posted by
7175 posts

From St Pancras I would get a taxi to Tower Bridge for photos.
Take red bus #15 to St Pauls Cathedral.
Back on red bus #15 to Trafalgar Square.
Walk down Whitehall past Horseguards & Number 10 to Parliament Square.
Photos of the Houses of Parliament and visit Westminster Abbey.
Back in a cab to St Pancras, with a 'drive by' of Buckingham Palace.

Posted by
58 posts

Hi,
I think you could manage your time in London better by picking the top places you want to see and taking the tube or taxi . You will waste a lot of time on the tour bus. The tube is very easy to use & there are apps to help with planning like Transport for London or Citymapper. Also apps to tell you how much a taxi ride should cost between places. Last time I was in London I planned my routes & wrote everything down in a little notebook , left my iPhone home. Also remember you will have to be back at Eurostar about an hour before you leave. I would definitely ride the London Eye, I rode it 3 times my last trip. Enjoy your trip!
Sharon

Posted by
3428 posts

We used Golden Tours for a few things when we first started to travel to the UK. we found this to be .. rather disappointing. For what you are describing, I think they are just pre-purchasing Ho-Ho bus tickets (you can get them when you arrive as mentioned in an earlier post), and walking tour tickets for you and you won't be on a 'real' tour. So why pay their mark-up. As another poster mentioned, the weather is chancy and you can easily wait and see. The London Walks tours don't have to be pre-booked either- just show up at the designated meeting place and pay then. Or get a one day travel card and use the tube and/or buses to move from place to place. We did the reverse and used the Eurostar to do a one day trip to Paris one time. It allowed us to get enough of a taste to know whether or not we'd want to return again for more. It would have been good to get an earlier arrival time in London , but if you've already purchased the tickets, then go with what you have!