Please sign in to post.

Day trip from London to the Cotswolds

Would you recommend doing a day trip from London to the Cotswolds? If so, how do you get there without a car? How do you get from one village to another? We don’t want to take a tour through. Company. Kids are 9 and 14. Will they be bored? Thanks!

Posted by
541 posts

While the Cotswolds deserves at least two full days/nights, it is possible to do it as a daytrip without a car as a last resort. This is how it can be done:

• London Paddington to Moreton in Marsh via train
  • Bus to either Stow in the Wold or Chipping Campden
  • This only gives you time to see MiM and either Stow or CC

Note- double check bus schedules as they are different depending on the day.

Posted by
1006 posts

I can’t see that it’s worth doing as a day trip. It’s a rural area so not quick to access by public transport. I would use your time to do something else where you will have more time in the destination.

Posted by
501 posts

I think the Cotswolds is lovely for older people without kids who love antiquing and pretty villages and old houses with lovely gardens, but I would not put it in my Top 20 family days out from London - especially without a car. I really would struggle to see the appeal for a 9 and 14-year old.

Somewhere like Hampton Court Palace or Windsor Castle or Dover Castle, or to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard would be my choice with children that age. And most of these are easy without a car.

Posted by
4322 posts

I agree with Golden Girl about the kids and Cotswolds. I would find a whole day of the Cotswolds boring. There are so many things that the kids would enjoy seeing in London.

Posted by
2469 posts

The best news I’ve heard is Becky’s Secret Cottage Tour is coming back!

Her tour was a highlight of my visit to London in 2017 and I was sad to hear it was discontinued after the Pandemic.

I agree with the other commenters that this may be boring for children.

Posted by
593 posts

I echo Judy B’s comment. Consider a day out at Hampton Court Palace—great for kids and adults alike and easily reachable from central London by tube/train combo then 10-min walk.

Posted by
541 posts

I just re-read your original post and saw the detail about having kids. Despite it being possible to do a day trip (as I outlined above), given this new fact that I overlooked, I would not recommend it for kids. Perhaps you could take them to the Harry Potter studio tour instead? That's a great daytrip I have done with my sons on two occasions and they loved it!!

Posted by
8673 posts

Forget the Cotswolds.

Tube to the lovely Richmond neighborhood and walk with the children in Richmond Park to see the fallow deer or tube to the area around the O2. The Design Center area. Then take the Gondolas over the river.

Otherwise I agree with seeing Hampton Court.

You could also do a day trip by train to Rye, Brighton or Whitsable.