Please sign in to post.

Customs/Immigration

We are flying in to Heathrow and then catching a flight to Dublin (cheaper to fly in to London and take a cheap flight to Dublin instead of to Dublin based on where we are traveling from). So this is not a connecting flight but rather a separate one. I believe we will have to exit through customs/immigration and then reenter the secured airport area to go back in for our next flight.

I have read on a few posts here that UK/Ireland is a Common Travel Area and those on flights that originate in London and land in Dublin don't have to do customs/immigration again. However, as I research I find that this applies to UK/Ireland citizens-- but haven't seen that this would apply to American citizens. Am I missing something? Has anyone done this recently and could let me know how this works? It's not that big of a deal to do Customs/immigration at both stops but would be great to not have to waste that time that we could be doing fun things in Dublin!
Thanks.

Posted by
6421 posts

I have read on a few posts here that UK/Ireland is a Common Travel
Area and those on flights that originate in London and land in Dublin
don't have to do customs/immigration again.

Customs, yes. Immigration, no.

Posted by
111 posts

I believe it's the other way around. The UK does not do immigration checks on passengers arriving from Ireland. However that does not apply on flights arriving in Ireland. US passport holders will see an immigration officer on arrival in Ireland.
Whilst the e-gates at Heathrow will let US passports through, I've seen many Americans baffled when they're unable to use the Irish e-gates at Dublin Airport.

Posted by
6421 posts

You might be right about immigration, it seems like there are immigration checks even for arrivals from the UK.

Posted by
32821 posts

yes, it is complicated. But everything involving British/Irish history and British/Irish politics always is. UK/Ireland/CTA/Schengen/EU/Brexit. All makes for a fun day.

Posted by
15090 posts

I have done the trip between the UK and Ireland numerous times. I have a U.S. passport.

Only UK and Irish nationals can take advantage of the CTA. U.S. passport holders must go through Irish immigration regardless of where they come from.

However, there is no immigration from Ireland to the UK.