Please sign in to post.

Customs at Heathrow

How difficult is it to get through Customs and to your next flight in a different terminal

Posted by
8683 posts

Its immigration that you “ get through”. Degree of difficulty depends on the flight time departure of the “ next flight.”

Posted by
4885 posts

Not difficult at all, just time consuming. Just follow the signs. If you go to the Heathrow website there is a section that shows how to do connections. It also has an interactive map to show you how to get to whatever your next terminal is.

Posted by
136 posts

Use this website to calculate the estimated time that it’ll take:

https://www.heathrow.com/connecting-flights

The time it estimated for my flight a couple weeks ago was accurate. You will have to go through security with your carry-on luggage, so be sure to put any liquids, etc, back into your quart-sized bag. You will also have your passport checked by border control and by your connecting airline.

Posted by
6 posts

Do I have to collect my luggage at baggage claim at Heathrow and Re-enter through security to send on the next flight? Or can I send my baggage on to final destination when leaving Seattle? Then do I also go to next terminal and through Immigration and Security before next flight?

Posted by
15083 posts

We need more information...

1) Where are you connecting to? Where are you coming in from?

2) Is this all on one ticket or two seperate tickets?

Immigration/passport control and customs are two different things. Americans have the bad habit of combining the two and calling it "customs."

Posted by
6 posts

Coming from USA changing flights at Heathrow and going on to Santorini Greece. Was hoping I could check baggage through to final destination All one ticket but starting with American Airlines then switching to British Air

Posted by
136 posts

If your flights are on one ticket, then your baggage will be checked through to your final destination.

Posted by
15083 posts

And you DON'T go through immigration or customs at Heathrow.

Follow the Flight Connections signs and you will be bussed airside to the next terminal. You will have to go through security.

Use this website to get step by step instructions:

http://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections