Please sign in to post.

Cricket

I need some advice about seeing a cricket match, specifically the upcoming test match between England and New Zealand. https://tickets.lords.org/en-GB/categories/internationals

This is on my son’s wishlist for our upcoming trip and I’d like to see if it is possible. I really know nothing about purchasing tickets for or attending sports events outside of the US. If anyone has experience with cricket they’d be willing to share I would greatly appreciate it!

Posted by
437 posts

Tests are 5 day matches. Pretty sure you will have no trouble getting a ticket for at least one of the days. England have been struggling lately so probably best to buy for one of the first 3 days in case the Kiwi's knock them over quickly and the match finishes early..

Posted by
399 posts

I love cricket, and I understand it is on your son's wishlist - but are you absolutely sure? £100 each a day is a lot to pay if you are not.

Apologies if you know this already , but there are three types of International Cricket - T20, Limited overs and Test Match.

T20 is a short, action packed, (purists think gimmicky) form of the game that takes around 3-4 hours.
Limited overs is an all day game - longer, but still relatively fast pace.
Test Match Cricket is form of the game than gets mocked as boring. Five days, two innings each - can often end with no result.
TMC can be wonderfully entertaining, and totally engrossing - but to somebody not fascinated by the sport it can also be slow with nothing seeming to happen.
If your son has experienced cricket before, and really wants to see test cricket, then this would be the place to go. Lord's is the home of cricket - probably the definition of "traditional" (by some people's definition "Stuffy")

Posted by
16 posts

Thank you for the replies! I agree that the price is steep. I did think about just getting a ticket for him to go alone. Not sure how fun that would be but it sure would help the budget. He did grow up watching the sport (never in person though) and I feel would appreciate the experience.

A few more questions that come to mind. Any idea how long I can expect the match to be? Is this an all day event? If Lords is “stuffy” are there certain dress code requirements? I was also looking at the seat maps and have no idea where a good place to get seats would be.

Posted by
437 posts

A test match day typically is 7 hours give or take, about 6 hours playing time. Never been to Lords. At the MCG here in Australia I prefer to sit just a bit diagonal to the line of the pitch with some level of elevation but close enough to hear what's going on out there.

Posted by
32752 posts

Lords - I find it neither stuffy nor particularly formal - is a fabulous place to watch a Test Match. Have him buy one of the fairly cheap, available at the ground on the day, special radios so he can hear the commentary in one ear. It really helps.

There were once tours available of the museum, and perhaps the Long Room (but maybe not, I've been in there but that was with a Member, a county and England player of previous generations, unfortunately gone from this plane now, and I was there when Brian Lara hit a series of consecutive sixes) and the ground itself is magnificent. Be sure that your son knows about the slope and its influence in the match.

I prefer to be close to square of the wicket so as be able to see all the action (or lack of it) at both ends.

Test matches are good for the stomach as well as the soul. They will stop promptly for lunch, and again for tea, and these breaks are useful for the fans too.

While pretty much anything goes in clothing at Lords from caps and ties and blazers in the colours of Lords for the members, to shorts and short sleeves for the public and anything in between, Lords is one of the only grounds to both ban fancy dress, and enforce the ban strictly. So you won't see the Dickie Bird groups of 15 or more, or the penguins, or the kiwi costumes. You also won't see the giant snakes of beer glasses, or any of that guff. You won't hear the drums and whistles of the West Indies/Pakistan/India/Bangladesh if they are playing. But you will hear the polite riffle of applause after balls well hit, and a few shouts of glee as a wicket falls. But - generally - polite.

Both go, and enjoy....

But do remember that of the two teams, the winner is often the weather.

Posted by
16 posts

Thank you all for such heartfelt and wonderful posts about cricket and going to Lords. We have decided that all three of us will go and see what the experience is like. I’m very excited to try something a bit different and of course my son is thrilled. He watches all the time over the internet and who knows when he’d get the chance to go in person again. Hopefully he will, but life moves along quickly…better take the opportunity while it’s in front of us.

Posted by
32752 posts

oh by the way, keep your eyes open to spot a certain former Prime Minister who has a habit of attending Lords Test Matches...

There was only one mention by somebody up thread, but don't count on play on Day 4 or especially Day 5. It may be different this year but with the way England have been playing recently it may be all over by then. Then again, new Captain, who knows. Sorry Rootie, just keep knocking them for six.

Posted by
16 posts

I wanted to update this post. My son and I went to Lords for the match today (spent about 5 hours there) and had the experience of a lifetime. It was completely different to anything I have done before. I highly recommend this experience to anyone. It definitely cost a bit but I wouldn’t trade it.

Posted by
32752 posts

I'll be watching the coverage of today's events shortly so no spoilers ok? So glad you had a good time, and I hope your son did too.

Yesterday was a good day of cricket when I watched it on TV. So many challenges for both England and NZ.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks Nigel. I should definitely add that my son had his dream experience. He knew all the players as he follows the game back at home. He tried to explain it all to me - I honestly was lost but played along. The atmosphere was enough to make me happy.

Posted by
399 posts

I'm so glad you enjoyed it - or at least found it an experience.

Posted by
8669 posts

Fabulous news. He got his wish and you experienced something completely different.

Posted by
32752 posts

well you certainly picked a good day to go, and a good First Test to pick too.

Just look at the result... all those records... your son has good taste

Posted by
32752 posts

and for all the others - how about that Pottsy? And 10,000 up for Rootie? And tied with Cookie for youngest? And his Ton?

And a cold overcast day perfect for wickets - and none!

Anybody else see it?

Posted by
1279 posts

Hey Nigel -

I followed the first test with the air of a Private Fraser but was delighted when we pulled it off. Roooooot! Proper Yorkshire lad delivering!

Caught some of yesterday’s Trent Bridge first day and it appears we are reverting to type. If you put the opposition in, you really need to skittle them out. Way things are New Zealand will hope to bat just the once, although I haven’t checked developments this morning yet!

Some loose bowling from England and four chances dropped - disappointing when we hung on to everything in the first test. All we need is another top order collapse and we are back to normal. Batsmen need to step up. Nothing wrong with ‘dropping anchor’ and getting in before attempting more extravagant shots as bowlers tire and we can’t expect Root to dig us out of the clarts every time. We’re doomed I tell ye, doomed!

Ian

Posted by
32752 posts

haven't seen today but yesterday was a sad show. For visitors to our fair land traveling from distant parts, the slip cordon was not England's finest day yesterday. Same slip cordon as at Lords but butterfingers and gaps. Two not to be named slip fielders just watch a ball fly by with no attempt to play it.

Then our new all singing all dancing captain no-balls a 5.

Sad, very sad....

We'll see in an hour or two what happened today. I'm afraid I don't have a lot of hope...

Posted by
1279 posts

Nigel -

I suspect that waiting for the call from the BBC to act as a new Cricket pundit may well be a redundant exercise for both of us. Though never underestimate the possibility of us snatching defeat from certain victory (well, a certain draw)!

Ian

Posted by
117 posts

Looks like it’ll likely be a draw which will make the final of the series interesting. Some great cricket yesterday from Root. Also the ODIs against Netherlands start Friday! Expect JRM will be doing his rounds again in the Georgian buildings along Whitehall (so as to not be too political!).

Posted by
117 posts

Tickets for tomorrow’s play at Trent Bridge complimentary (with suggested donation). Expect will go fast

Posted by
354 posts

Just logged in to this blog. I see a result as highly likely. Both teams have the opportunity if they believe in themselves and their teammates. I expect the Black caps to believe in their abilities, and each other and that they can bowl out the English batters. The Black caps will go for runs in the first hour, trying to push the lead up over 275. Giving the English batters 5 hours to make the runs. On past form, they will not go for it. Batters from all teams have a high failure rate when they forget about scoring runs and try to preserve their wicket. Maybe one reason why the Baggy Greens do not draw many tests these days. Last summer won 5 out of 4.

I missed the start of the blog but am pleased that Mollie and her family had a pleasant time at Lords. It is a quaint ground for viewing the game. Would have drawn her attention to the world’s most famous crosswalk to the east. Get a pass out at the lunch break and stroll over for a snap at Abbey Road. Will be there next year. My sons and I and others making lots of noises as our quicks make a mess of the English batters, just like the past summer here. And missing Warnie.

Appropriate that Lord Gower rang the bell at Lords. A enjoyed his relaxed batting.

Regards Ron

Posted by
32752 posts

I'm so glad that we can include visitors to this fair land in what should be the national sport.

This has been a very interesting Test Match - batting and bowling, and maybe neither the weather nor the clock will win.

Lovely swing at times, nice knocks as well.

And for anybody wanting to tune in and see what happened - it is so easy for folks here, just tune in to BBC2 at 7pm. An hour of highlights, and the commentary is very good both for old timers and newbies...

How about that Rootie Reverse Sweep??? For 6?

Posted by
4098 posts

I've been tuning in every evening for half an hour or so and still can't figure out the scoring. I really want to try playing though. Who's winning?

Posted by
32752 posts

Who's winning?

we are

.... one of the truly brilliant things about the beloved sport of Cricket is that things can change in the length of a pin head. One dropped catch, one injury, one poor decision, one fluked boundary, one missed shot ... can make the entire flow of the match turn 180 degrees....

such a sport

Posted by
1481 posts

My husband and I have "understanding Cricket" on our bucket list.

It has been a joy reading this thread full of beautiful language, but not have any idea what it all means!

Posted by
1279 posts

Catching up in the pub with a pint of mild and a packet of crisps (sorry, chips) after a walk ‘o’er t’moor’. Highly delighted - tempted to have another. When the going gets tough, send for a Yorkshireman!

Posted by
32752 posts

what a show!!!! No wonder the visitors from over the water (Pacific and Atlantic) are flocking to this magnificent game...

Yup, the lad from Yorkshire - God's Own Country - did it. What a knock.

And his mate could only walk between the wickets!!!

Raining 6s and plenty of 4s - did a 299 run chase in a 50 over match... fastest ever to 100, highest run chase, take home the series trophy.

Thanks very much to MollieMn and her great son for bringing this to the attention of the greater travelling public!!

Posted by
354 posts

Extra pleased that the test did not fizzle out. Was sure the boys from the shaky isles would go for it and not be frightened of losing. Sat down at 10.30pm to watch the after-lunch session. Set the business size lounge chair to recline mode, foot support to elevated level, headrest adjusted and the drinks tray at elbow level and the big screen to the Kayo channel. Waiting for take-off. Things were going swimmingly and then Root nudged the easiest catch back. Cold outside, 3c, so had a wee dram of cask strength Laphroaig (big mistake). My wife checked on me at midnight, turned the TV and lights off and left me there. Missed the big revival of English cricket and the record run chase.

Took the kiwi Mccullum to instil belief into the old boys. Will it last?

Yes, 2015 was a great tour. A result in all five tests. 3-2 in England’s favour. At Trent Bridge the English quicks had the red Duke swinging like the Glenn Miller Orchestra. Too good on home turf. Followed by a 4-zero away Baggy Green drubbing in 17/18, and again in 21/22. Could be worse. 4-nil at home to Hungary. Ops wrong game.

Good to see Joe Root achieve personal milestones. I think he was Warnie’s favourite English batter. Does that now mean that two Roots are equal to one Don?

Looking forward to the Proteas. If I can stay awake. They have a history of producing seriously fast quicks.
Regards Ron

Posted by
32752 posts

Shame our OP and her son didn't get to another Test.

The delayed India Test at Edgbaston has been a real fizzer.

Yorkshire lads again. 250/310 partnership. Ginger power. Rootie.... wow.

Records broken again. Wonderful moments for both India and England fans.

Jimmy Anderson another fifer.

Poor Virat Kohli. Liking Bumrah, the new India captain. Liking a lot of the India team, and liking a lot of the England team.

England's highest run chase - ever.

Posted by
399 posts

I'm going to say I consider the OP to be a bit of a lucky charm. Since their attendance at the first test of the summer , four games, four victories, and each, in it's own way, remarkable.

Posted by
1279 posts

“It will take years to turn this England Test team around. Complete restructure, top to bottom review, wholesale personnel changes”.

“Nah, new coach and captain, tell ‘em to go out and attack and in five weeks we’ll be 4 - 0 to the good”.

“Oh, OK then”.

Posted by
354 posts

Well looks like the Pompous Old Men who toured Australia last year are back in town. Perhaps the MCC should outlaw touring quick bowlers who can bowl over 150 KPH. Even spider Jansen gets close to that.

Regards Ron

Posted by
399 posts

Cricket does that. Sometimes you win a toss on a wicked pitch with perfect overhead conditions. Frankly, South Africa bowled so well on the first day that I was amazed that England reached 3 figures. Had the toss gone the other way, who knows?

It certainly brings us back down to earth after the early games of summer.