Please sign in to post.

Cotswolds without a car

Trying to decide between Moreton in Marsh and Chipping Campden for a few day stay, The advantage of MiM is the train hub. I’ve emailed car services/taxis about transportation between villages. Did anyone find Moreton in Marsh busy? Has anyone stayed in Chipping Campden without a car and found taxis hard to come by? Thanks

Posted by
2776 posts

My sister-in-law and I went to the Cotswolds, we didn’t have a car. We stayed in Chipping Campden and used taxis. It is easier having a car, but it was so easy using taxis. My sister-in-law didn’t want to rent a car.

Posted by
7672 posts

Robin, How much did you spend for taxis? Where did you go when there?
Driving in the countryside (Cotswolds) is much easier than in the heavy traffic of London.

Posted by
7 posts

I stayed in Moreton-in-Marsh last year. I was told that local taxis were reluctant to pick you up from the rail station and drive such a short distance to your hotel, so I had to walk, which wasn't all that easy as I walk with a cane. If I ever go again, I'll choose a different village so I can get a taxi from the station! I did think the main roads were pretty busy, traffic-wise. But I was easily able to visit some nearby villages (Broadway, Bourton-on-the-Water, and Stow-on-the-Wold) by using the local buses.

Posted by
2776 posts

@geovagriffith, we stayed in Chipping Campden, we took a taxi to and from Bourton-on-the-Water total cost was £45.00, then another day went to and from Ebrington to eat at the pub, total cost £15.00., then one day to Broadway which was total £28.00. I wanted to rent a car, but as I said my sister-in-law said she didn’t want to, and I wasn’t going to pay the whole cost myself.

@geepepper…I think you were told wrong. Last year was the second time I arrived in Moreton-in-Marsh by train, and the other time was a few years ago when my friend and I was going to walk the Cotswolds Way National Trail, didn’t have any problems getting a taxi and both drivers were very nice and talked a lot to us.

Posted by
7 posts

I'm glad you didn't have a problem with taxis. I probably should have at least made a phone call, but OTOH, the walk probably did me good!

Posted by
33 posts

We stayed in Moreton-in-Marsh earlier this week. We booked an all day minibus tour of the Cotswolds. It was so-so. We are now in Bath. Yesterday we did an all day minibus tour with Mad Max, seeing Stonehenge etc., and the southern Cottswolds. We saw more thatched roof homes and small villages with Mad Max than on the other tour. I would skip the trip to MIM, go to Bath instead, and do the all day tour of Stonehenge, Avebury, and Cottswolds from Bath. Much less hassle with transportation too.

Posted by
7 posts

We'll be hiking the Cotswold Ring in September, staying in Moreton on Marsh, Chipping Campden, Broadway, Bourton on the Water, and Winchcombe (not in that order). We'll connect on to London and Bath via train and coach, so pretty convenient. If you're a hiker and do 7-8 miles in a day, it's a dream area for a walking holiday.

Posted by
8676 posts

Winchcombe to the Broadway Tower is a lovely hike.
Enjoy the area.

Posted by
755 posts

I’ve been twice and got around both times using public transportation.No taxis, however, just buses and trains.

Posted by
620 posts

Hi Reed,
We stayed in CC exactly a year ago and had zero probs either getting taxis, taking buses including the local Green Tortoise, or taking Bus #11 (get it--stick legs?).
Our fave driver by far: Ian 'Cookie' Cook (Cookie Private Hire) 00447497626444
callcookie@hotmail.com
If he's busy, then try the brothers Tamas and Levi (Pinpoint).
Good Luck.
I am done. the end

Posted by
5773 posts

Although they are to continue running for now as Pulhams, it is no longer an independent bus company. Pulhams has been purchased by the Go Ahead group and is to become part of the Oxford Bus Company.

Posted by
5 posts

We stayed in MIM and took the bus to Stow-On-The Wold. The bus runs all the way to Bourton-On-The-Water. You can walk to the Slaughters in between if you want to.

Posted by
1839 posts

Pulhams, it is no longer an independent bus company. Pulhams has been purchased by the Go Ahead group and is to become part of the Oxford Bus Company.

Is that going to be good or bad news - or is the jury still out on that?