Please sign in to post.

Cotswolds Tours

Heading to London in the Spring. Hoping to spend a few days exploring the Cotswolds but do NOT want to attempt driving on our own on the wrong side of the road. :-) Any suggestions for tour companies that do short trips to the Cotswolds?

Posted by
27104 posts

Rick lists at least a couple in his book. Mad Max tours depart from Bath. GoCotswolds tours depart from Moreton-in-Marsh, a short train ride from Oxford. I stayed in Oxford for several nights (lots to see there) and easily got to Moreton for my GoCotswolds tour. I enjoyed the tour; it afforded a quick look at several small villages.

One or more folks on this forum have taken and really enjoyed the Secret Cottage tour, which I think also departs from Moreton. I believe it's more expensive, but it includes some food--perhaps both lunch and afternoon tea.

I think all the companies I've mentioned use vans; you won't be stuck on a bus packed with 40 people.

Posted by
521 posts

We did a day tour from Bath that was excellent in August - I think the company was Lion Tours.

Posted by
13934 posts

I did the MadMax day tour from Bath in 2018 and it was good. It's a sampler of Cotswold villages. We were in a 12 or 15 person van and the driver/guide was very good. It was the 2nd Mad Max tour I'd done over the years and was pleased with both.

Lion Tours is a very similar model. I believe it was started by the ex-husb of Maddie who owns Mad Max. Does not seem to be any bad feelings between the 2 tours and I think either would be good. I'd choose based on the itinerary as each company offers things on certain days of the week.

Posted by
8 posts

Londonwalks does a very nice one day trip that you should consider. It’s by train, then bus then by foot.

Posted by
27104 posts

If you want to spend "a few days" in the Cotswolds, I don't think the LondonWalks trip is the way to go. If I had that much time, I'd plan to take one of the full-day tours and then do some walking (weather permitting) between villages on my other day(s), using buses and perhaps an occasional taxi to get around. That might mean staying in Moreton-in-Marsh for the transportation advantages. If rural walking is not within your wheelhouse (it's not in mine because of balance issues on unpaved paths), you could make leisurely visits to a few villages by bus.

I'm sure the LondonWalks trip is well done, and I like that transportation from London is by train rather than tour bus, but still, a lot of your day will be spent traveling out of London and back, giving you much less than a full day in the Cotswolds.