Please sign in to post.

Cotswolds

Are most venues in the Cotswolds closed on Sundays? We leave Bath by car on a Sunday morning, the first of 3 days in the Cotswolds. Also, deciding on where to sleep in the area. I’m wondering if some of the smaller villages might be better than Stow-on-the-Wold or Chipping Campen.

Posted by
8889 posts

What do you mean by a "venue"? The attraction of the Cotswolds is to see the countryside and villages, the views never close.
I would imagine a similar proportion of shops would be closed on Sundays as in the rest of the country.

Posted by
32835 posts

Where did you have in mind, Emily?

If you are talking about National Trust locations, like Hidcote, Snowshill, Ascott, etc., they tend to have a closed day in the week and are not closed on weekends.

But what were you thinking about?

Posted by
121 posts

Thanks for your replies. Yes, the attraction is the countryside and villages but we’d like to be able to stop in pubs, restaurants and places of interest. The reason for my question is that although I’ve been to remote villages in China, Turkey, Morocco, and all over Europe i never have been to England and don’t know if these small villages close up tight on Sundays, as some places still do in the states.

Posted by
4008 posts

You could attend a Sunday church service at St Peter's in Upper Slaughter or St Mary's in Lower Slaughter. You could attend service at St Edward's in Stow-in-the-Wold on a Sunday morning as they have a choir too.

Posted by
32835 posts

pubs will open, but often different and shorter hours - many will focus on Sunday Roast if winter, and if they serve food.

Restaurants too, but different hours than normal often.

I'm not sure if Huffkins is open on Sundays ....

Posted by
16894 posts

Buses are the big thing that doesn't work on Sundays, but that won't affect you with a car. Rick's guidebook will describe opening hours for pretty much every destination. For instance, I see that the silversmith in Chipping Campden is closed Sundays. But the largest number of visitors will be expected on the weekends.

Posted by
121 posts

Thanks Continental and Nigel - good information. Laura, my guidebook hasn’t arrived yet but it’s on the way.

Posted by
121 posts

Thanks Continental and Nigel - good information. Laura, my guidebook hasn’t arrived yet but it’s on the way.

Posted by
5284 posts

You'll always find pubs open on Sunday (closing times will be earlier than a Friday or Saturday but unlikely to be an issue with you.) Most restaurants will be open, the weekends are their most lucrative times and as Nigel has pointed out, many have dedicated Sunday menus that will usually feature a roast.

Likewise the sort of shop that does well from tourism will also likely be open on a Sunday.

Posted by
5284 posts

You could attend a Sunday church service at St Peter's in Upper Slaughter or St Mary's in Lower Slaughter. You could attend service at St Edmund's in Stow-in-the-Wold on a Sunday morning as they have a choir too.

Assuming the OP is religious. I couldn't think of anything worse to do but then I detest religion!

Posted by
4008 posts

I didn't recommend attending a service for religious purposes. If one is going to be there on a Sunday, it's just a chance to experience a very local custom in a beautiful setting and then chit chat with people afterwards enjoying tea and something to eat. People are so friendly and it's wonderful to interact with the community as opposed to making a trip to the country solely about architecture and landscapes. I favor experiential travel hence my suggestion.

Posted by
118 posts

The trouble is is that going to church is no longer a local custom, as religion, particularly Christianity, is no longer an important part of many people’s lives in the U.K. Only a very small sub set of the community will be there to chat and have a cup of tea with. Horses for courses I suppose!

Posted by
4008 posts

Amanda, I went to St Edwards, Stow-in-the-Wold on a Sunday morning and the pews were filled. I've been to small German cities like Iserlohn (in North Rhine-Westphalia) and have gone to a service on a Sunday morning at the church a few blocks from my hotel. I speak some German but not fluent by a long shot. Yet the music was lovely. To each her own especially with regards to experiential travel.

I see you're from York. I went to a Sunday service at York Minster on Mothering Sunday a few years back and it was awesome. In the middle of the service, all of the ladies were asked to come to the altar to be given a bouquet of daffodils by children. I later gave them to the innkeeper of my B&B and she placed them in a vase and put them on the console in the vestibule. Anyone needing a rec for a B&B in York, let me know!

:-)