Please sign in to post.

Cotswold weekend in October 2024

Looking for advise/input. We will be in London and would like to spend a weekend outside of the city. Is it possible to take the train and rent a car? Are taxis or Ubers available? Any information on a driver or day tours is welcome. Where would be the best place to base ourselves? We enjoy walking in the countryside and visiting the quaint villages. Lastly, do stores, gardens, restaurants etc close in October? I read some things close due to it being the end of the season? Thank you in advance!

Posted by
21 posts

We stayed on Stow-on-the-Wold and found it to be a great base. Burton-on-the-Water was fun to visit but a little packed. Stow-on-the-Wold was cute as a button and not that crowded. There was a pub I walked to every night with cricket playing and locals and was great. The church near us had a local put on a Bach concert that we went to and it was wonderful. I went on several walks right out of town which were outstanding. I do not believe there are trains or ubers. Frankly, I would just rent a car because the drives were great too.

Posted by
9102 posts

Morton in the Marsh is an 1.5 by train from Paddington Station.

Remember the sun sets earlier in October.

Research Go Cotswolds for a tour.

Posted by
131 posts

I agree with @claudia, Moreton-in-Marsh by train is your most time- and cost-efficient option. There are plenty of footpaths through the Cotswolds that connect the villages. So unless you want to travel a long distance through the Cotswolds a car isn't necessary.

Posted by
1559 posts

Highly advocate for taking a train, foregoing the car and absorbing the locale of your village. London offers a huge menu of opportunities to place your fingerprints. A village offers a few morsels to fully grasp with all your senses and leisurely consume.