Please sign in to post.

Cornwall/Devon in March 2019

Hi Rick Steves Experts,

Anyways, just wondering hmm how inclement is the weather in Cornwall in late mid-late March? Does it typically snow? I know the country was recently hammered with "the beast from the East." Not sure if that is usual or not. Just curious. I'm headed to Cornwall and Devon next year in Mid to late March. Haven't ever been. Will be visiting the usual tourist places like St.Ives and hopefully a copper mine or two. Trying to find out if I need to be on the lookout for another snow jacket to pack, so I can snag one on sale this year.

Posted by
11294 posts

"I know the country was recently hammered with "the beast from the East." Not sure if that is usual or not."

It's absolutely unprecedented - which is why it made international news. Of course, that doesn't mean it can't happen again.

Posted by
6113 posts

By mid/late March, you are far more likely to encounter lots of rain (there’s a reason why Cornwall is a green county) than snow and it can be windy there. However, as the weather all over Europe has shown this winter, nothing is typical any more.

If Cornwall gets much snow, as this winter, chances are you won’t be able to get there as the transport links won’t be operating!

Posted by
5291 posts

If Cornwall gets much snow, as this winter, chances are you won’t be able to get there as the transport links won’t be operating!

Yes, I overheard a Cornish couple telling another couple recently whilst in Spain that they were stranded in their homes in Cornwall when it snowed, nobody could get to work other than those with suitable vehicles and the county pretty much ground to a halt.