Please sign in to post.

Churchill War Rooms

Should we reserve a time for the War Rooms or just show up?

Posted by
1152 posts

It has been a few years, but I just showed up. I don't recall having to wait.

Posted by
1145 posts

I just showed up in January. They were upset that I didn't have a reservation, but they let me in—along with 2–3 other groups that showed up while they "called the supervisor." But it did delay things.

Posted by
8415 posts

When? Middle of winter? Off-season? Summer?

It matters. If it is during late spring, summer, early fall, I would say “yes” to reserve in advance.

Posted by
6113 posts

Is this a must see for you? If you can’t get in on your attempt, do you have enough time to go again a different day? The War Rooms seem to be busier, so I wouldn’t go without booking in advance.

Posted by
8710 posts

When are you going? Next week? Summer? Fall? Winter? If a MUST see ( I spent 2 hours there off season) then reserve.

Posted by
6552 posts

Right now the website shows all time slots available from tomorrow onward. Keep checking it periodically as your travel date approaches. If you see dates and times start to fill up, make your scheduling decision and buy the tickets. Ordinarily June would be a very busy time, certainly it was pre-Covid.

Posted by
27206 posts

I spent more than half the day at the Churchill War Rooms, most of it in the Churchill Museum section. If you're really interested in the material covered, I'd recommend going early in the day so you have the flexibility to stay as long as you're enjoying yourself.

Posted by
4367 posts

When we went in June pre-Covid, there was a long line for those who hadn't reserved a time in advance. Our line was much shorter.

Posted by
5332 posts

Pre-booking is no longer compulsory but I consider it highly recommended.

Posted by
11205 posts

We reserved our tickets ahead for an August date. When we arrived the lines were very long to get in, a full block at least. A guard asked who had tickets and we were moved inside to the front of the line.
We will return to Churchill’s War Rooms next time we’re in London, a major piece of history to explore, riveting.

Posted by
12 posts

It's an amazing place to visit, and worth planning your time around going. I'd suggest booking a time in advance to make sure you go and can get in.

Posted by
317 posts

I would pre-book. As others have said, its no longer a requirement. However, the last thing you want is to show up on the day that every man and his dog have decided to go. Better safe than sorry and potentially miss out on an incredible museum. If you like that era of history, it is utterly fascinating.

Posted by
119 posts

If you like secret bunker type places CWR is the place to see, restored to 1940s wwii period detail, I’ve visited twice, once when it was originally known as the ‘Cabinet War Rooms’ then later after it was extended and renamed, also in 2019 Piers Morgan interviewed POTUS Donald J Trump in the power plant room, another plus if it’s a very hot day in central London the sub surface venue is nice and cool.

Posted by
1222 posts

We booked ahead for a June trip and it allowed us to skip the ridiculous line.