Please sign in to post.

Christmas in London

Has anyone stayed in London for Christmas before? We are planning on staying in London 12/24-12/29 and I'm wondering what the best area of the city to stay in is. I have heard that the Tube (and a lot of restaurants) are closed on Christmas Day so I'd like to stay in an area that has things to see within a walkable distance and maybe some restaurants open. Also, do you know of any hotels that do anything special for Christmas that aren't high end? It doesn't have to be anything spectacular that they do as it's just my husband and I (no kids), but it might be nice to stay somewhere that's warm and cozy feeling.

Posted by
1067 posts

"I have heard that the Tube (and a lot of restaurants) are closed on Christmas Day"

Correct, transport and attraction hours can also be limited on Boxing Day. BTW to avoid confusion we (and most of the world) write dates dd/mm/yy.

Posted by
1174 posts

We stayed there last Christmas and have stayed previously. London at Christmas is wonderful. Be sure and get on the website of the Royal Albert Hall for their selections of Christmas spectaculars. We took in two offerings last year plus a Christmas high teal. We also took in a Christmas program at St-Martin-in-the-Fields church, right across from Traflagar Square. We stayed at Citidines Trafalgar Square an apart- hotel, easily walkable to Trafalgar Square and the magnificent lighted Norway spruce tree and nightly caroling around the tree by various groups. Trafalgar Square has service from several bus lines and we use several to get to and from the Royal Albert plus the rode bus that went down the magnificent lighted shops and street decorations, including Harrod's. The Club Quarters Trafalgar Square is another place we like, also in the heart of things and within easy walking distances to Parliament, the Thames, Christmas markets across the Thames at Southwark, Buckingham Palace, and all manner of great theater production in and around Covent Garden. The Porterhouse, a large pub at 21 Maiden Lane was open last Christmas as were several other places/pubs nearby. All offered special Christmas menus but none of them were inexpensive and about the price of high end hotels offerings. Things shut down on 12/24, your arrival date, so you will likely miss most of the festivities. The week before Christmas or two weeks before would be ideal to take it all in if you can change your dates.

Posted by
8565 posts

In years past I’ve found watching a major city of the world shut down on Christmas Day a pleasure. The quiet, the calm, to appreciation of being with family.

With Uber and Londoners not of Christian faith you can get around and enjoy a Christmas Day meal but take some planning. Easy to research online.

Stores, markets, shops and major attractions will all be closed on Christmas Day and on the following day known as Boxing Day although more stores seem to open on Boxing Day now. Public transport is non existence on Christmas and very little on Boxing Day.
Check the tfl.gov.uk website.

A few movie theatres will be open and London Walks are available ( www.walks.com) but for the most part plan to explore on foot if you choose to go out.

I always rent an apartment during Christmas, one near one of the Royal Parks. I stock up on food and know I’m going watch Telly and the Queens speech on Christmas Day after I’ve gone out early and strolled about.

Christmas Eve midnight mass is grand so you might see which one is closest to where you are staying.

You asked about where to stay close to sites.

The “sites” of London are spread out BUT not so far apart that you can’t walk between them.

But you need to group them together. Use Google Maps Satellite View. Type in London Big Ben.

Within easy walking distance of the iconic Elizabeth’s Tower ( now in scaffolding...the bell is Big Ben ) are the Thames, the London Eye, Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Horse Guards, Churchill War Rooms, St James Park, Buckingham Palace, Green Park, Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, National Gallery, Leicester Square, St Martins of the Fields and Covent Garden.

The Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Leadenhall Market and St Paul’s are within walking distance of one another.

There will be a Christmas Tree in Trafalgar Square.

Christmas lights will be around the city with the ones on Oxford and Regents streets as highlights.

There is the free Hyde Park Winterwonderland that’s fun to roam about.

Look at TimeOut London online to see what pantos
( pantomimes ) are available and book tickets. You can also research what’s on in galleries, theatre options, choral presentations and check to see when the annual Covent Garden Christmas Pudding race is scheduled ( was late November last year)

As I mentioned above stay in an apartment close to one of the Royal parks so you can get out and about with others on Christmas Day as they stroll about.
Since you are first time visitors I’d suggest Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens ( Kensington Palace is in Kensington Gardens) The Serpentine separates the park and garden and if early risers you could watch the traditional Peter Pan cup race on Christmas morning at the Lido in Hyde Park. Silly but a endearing way to watch a London tradition and intermingle with Londoners. 7am. Bring a thermos and smiles.

While looking at TimeOut also checkout what pubs and restaurants do offer a Christmas Day meal. There are more dining options these days due Londons tourism popularity. When I spent my first Christmas there in the 70’s, it was a ghost town. Eerie yet fascinating. Thankfully I’d loaded upon packets of crisps or I would have starved on Christmas Day. Live and learn.

Hopefully you’ll arrive early on Christmas Eve and be able to get out and about to see all the hustle and bustle before the city shuts down.

If you must do a hotel try the Premiere Inn over by the London Eye, the Hilton by Paddington Station or as recommended above the Citadines by Trafalgar Square.

Posted by
61 posts

Claudia’s response makes me want to spend Christmas in London too!! 😍🇬🇧😍

Posted by
1321 posts

One drawback to keep in mind is the very short days. You're almost at the Winter Solstice and you're pretty far north. So, you can expect it to start getting dark around 330 PM-4PM. It's not the end of the world, I had a trip last year from about Thanksgiving until early December, but since I'm used to summer trips, I had to plan my activities accat lordingly.

Also, at least for me, it seemed a lot colder than the actual temperature. So, I'd suggest bringing warm clothing, perhaps slightly warmer than the air temperatures would indicate.

Posted by
8565 posts

You LV?!?!? I want to go again but alas, staying here this Christmas.

Posted by
713 posts

Me three - and I'll have just been there in November!

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you so much for your responses! Claudia, you make it sound so magical that I think I'm going to change our plans to spend one less day in Dublin and one more day in London!

Posted by
4253 posts

As someone mentioned earlier, it would be better to get there before Christmas if possible. If you get tickets far in advance, you can go to a Christmas service at Westminster Abbey on the 23rd or 24th. We went on the 23rd because of transportation issues, but that was in 2014 before Uber was a big thing and maybe now it would be easier to manage. We stayed at the Trafalgar Hilton and ate Christmas Dinner at the hotel. Every place I investigated for dinner was very expensive. I think London Walks has a Dickens walk on the 25th. Most sights are closed on the 24th. We went to the Harry Potter thing in Leavesden on the 24th. I think some sights are also closed on the 26th, which didn't matter to us since our college daughter wanted to shop that day. What did matter was that the stores had already taken down their window decorations on the 26th.

Posted by
239 posts

If you want to eat a Christmas lunch or dinner on Christmas Day, you'll need to find somewhere which will be open and you'll need to book in advance, probably well in advance. Failing that, you might find somewhere doing more exotic food.

Posted by
2773 posts

Premium Tours and Golden Tours have Christmas Day tours that look nice.

Posted by
4253 posts

But those tours would only be ride on a bus and look at the outsides of buildings because nothing will be open. That type of tour would work for the Cotswolds, I think. Boxing Day looks better. Most attractions are closed in London that day, but the Golden Tour itineraries to other places show actual entry to certain attractions.