Please sign in to post.

Christmas in London

My husband and I, and two adult (mid to late 20's daughters) arrive London on Dec 23, leave Dec. 26. Staying in pimlico on Lupus in an apartment. Knowing much is closed due to the holidays, any advice? We hope to get advance passes to Christmas Eve midnight services at Westminster, but no other plans so far.

Posted by
468 posts

Do you like shows? We had a fun night at a pantomime show a few years ago. Yes some think for younger kids but it had plenty of humor to keep adults amused. It was very much for locals and we felt like we were really getting to see what locals do for the holidays. Enjoy!

Posted by
503 posts

We celebrated Christmas in London several years ago. With an apartment, you can easily do your meals in. At the time, Marks and Spencer had fully prepped holiday meals you could order and pick up. All I had to do was put them in the oven to cook! I am sure the other markets (Waitrose and Sainsbury's) also have holiday meals - you should be able to order them before leaving the U.S. and then just pick them up when you get there.

On Christmas day, we slept in, had a large breakfast and then went for a long walk - made for a very relaxing day and it's still one of our favorite Christmas days ever.

Posted by
8683 posts

Much is not closed, virtually everything is closed.

It’s glorious. Christmas is family time and I always enjoy seeing a major European city come to a virtual standstill. Not like LA where it’s sunny and u can pop in a grocery store, movie theatre, go shopping etc. Yep just another day in LA.

In London it’s Christmas.

So act quickly and review the following to see there’s any interest and available tickets.

https://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/whats-on/christmas/best-christmas-carols-in-london

Same with TimeOut London. See if there are any pantos playing near where you are staying.

Also check www.walks.com

On Christmas Day prepare to walk. Enjoy the quiet.

If there’s a TV in your accommodation you can gather around and watch the Queens Pre Recorded Christmas message.