Please sign in to post.

Christmas Day and Boxing Day 2024

We will be in London for Christmas and want to know if we'll be able to get taxis, Uber or use the tube on Christmas Eve and Day. We've gotten restaurant reservations but they're not within walking distance of our hotel. Also, are there many stores open on Boxing Day?

Posted by
7326 posts

No tube or any other public transport runs on Christmas Day (except National Express buses to the airports and some other long distance runs), but everything in London runs until just a bit before normal close of service on Christmas Eve, with all Christmas Eve into Christmas Day night buses cancelled. In the rest of the country public transport closes in early evening.

There was one special non TfL bus service in the Putney area last year using heritage vehicles.

Taxis operate at special premium Christmas Day prices, and presumably so does Uber.

Many stores start their sales on Boxing Day so there should be quite a good range open. A few convenience type food stores will open on Christmas Day.

Posted by
114 posts

Adding to what isn31c said… CLOSED. CLOSED, CLOSITY CLOSED. That applies to Christmas Day, except… look online for restaurants that are open on Christmas Day! There are many. Here is just one list: https://londonist.com/london/food-and-drink/christmas-dinner-on-christmas-day

There are also majority non-Christian neighbourhoods in London, and some of those are not as affected by the “we are closed on Christmas” effect. The East End is a great place to look, as is the Edgeware Road.

There are also quite a few pubs open on Christmas for a meal - maybe there is one close to your hotel! You could then cancel the existing reservation at the restaurant you might not be able to get to, and have a nice meal at a pub close to where you are staying.

Some local pubs do an honestly lovely, warm, family-feeling job of serving a Christmas meal. I will bet there are lots of folks on here who have amazing recommendations. :-)

Uber will be available, but pricey.

Posted by
16024 posts

I have spent the Christmas and New Years holiday in London during the past few years. I'll be there again this year.

My plans for Xmas day is just to hang out but also take a walk. Usually, all the stores and restaurants on the nearby High Street are closed. Last year, a few restaurants, fast food and ethnic, were open. As were the pubs. The street, usually deserted that day, was brimming with people.

But as stated, you can forget public transportation. If you need to get somewhere, I'd suggest pre-booking a car service.

Posted by
9079 posts

Re: London Underground: Yes on Christmas Eve, no on Christmas Day.

And the last Christmas I spent in London I found fantastic sales on Boxing Day.

Posted by
8 posts

Timely post as I was curious about public transportation as well and based on my research it appeared to be nonexistent on the 25th. We are arriving at Heathrow Christmas morning and figured we would just deal with the cost of a taxi that day and find a pub or restaurant within walking distance to the Premier Inn County Hall where we will be staying.

Thanks to all for confirming!

Posted by
9079 posts

The Premier Inn should have a restaurant that will be open.

These days many Uber options. Premium pricing. London is an ethnically diverse city. Not everyone celebrates Christmas

Posted by
7326 posts

National Express Bus will be running from Heathrow to Victoria on Christmas Day, timetables yet to be published.