Please sign in to post.

Chelsea Flower Show

We're planning to attend the Chelsea Flower Show in London. There is plenty of website info, but not a whole lot of practical info. Would anyone who's attended this please pass on your experience and tips. We have two main questions, 1. There are three ticket prices for three time frames. Would there be plenty enough time to see it in the 3:30-8:00 time frame? 2. How would you rate the food venues there... as in should we eat before coming as I see you're not allowed to exit once you're in. Thanks so much!

Posted by
105 posts

You should have plenty of time to see everything. The times are staggered because of the crowds. The venue isn't that large, just crowded. Don't remember about the food, though. Have fun.

Posted by
7321 posts

You might expect the cheaper and after-work hours to be even more crowded. Ritzy hotels now sell Member Day tickets at a huge premium. We were satisfied with full weekday tickets but they were no bargain. The show's vendor ticket provider sent physical tickets by Royal Mail to the US in plenty of time before the show, maybe six weeks, months after we paid. The show sells out in advance. But I suggest you find a normal hotel and buy rooms with a guaranteed tied-in ticket. These are available at every hotel level.

Much of the show is outdoors, so be ready with drizzle gear. The pop-up restaurants and cafeterias are satisfactory but nothing special. They are absolutely jammed - you need group members to patrol seeking a table and sit there while others get the first food trays. Maybe go in the afternoon and eat dinner in a real restaurant.

Having been to 20+ Philadelphia Flower Shows I was anxious to see Chelsea. It is very different from the PFS, partly because there is no individual amateur competition. But I'm glad I went, once.

Posted by
3 posts

I am attending the 2015 Chelsea Flower Show also and have been doing a lot of reading and checking places like TripAdvisor etc. From what I have read the show is wall-to-wall people in the afternoons. So much so that getting close enough to see the landscape displays is impossible. I read that the eating venues are very expensive and very crowded and it is recommended that you pack a lunch. You are allowed to bring in your own food. My friends and I plan to go on Thursday when the doors open. I understand this is the best time to go. Have you purchased your tickets yet? Vikki in VA.

Posted by
228 posts

As we look at everything, paying to be sardines doesn't sound appealing to us. So instead it looks like we're going to skip this show and go to Kew and Ham House instead of the Chelsea. Thanks for your advice!

Posted by
32795 posts

It will be busy, but I find it hard to believe that visitors will not be able to see the displays.

I prefer to go to the Hampton Court show which has a little more room, but Chelsea is "the" one. If I had come all that distance I might see if I could arrange to go.

The English are mad (mostly) about their gardens. Really. Here is a chance to see some of the best designs right up close. It is the RHS after all.

Just hope that "hard landscaping" is a bit out of fashion this year.

Good luck.

BTW - your original question - in 5 hours you will be well and truly dead on your feet. It is plenty. Don't be late.