Please sign in to post.

Cheddar Gorge

Hello,

My husband and I are thinking about visiting Cheddar Gorge whilst spending a few nights in Wells.

We have a rental car, and are National Trust members.

I would appreciate hearing about experiences driving through the Gorge as to its scenery, traffic or lack thereof. Also interested if anyone has visited the caves there. Finally has anyone tried out the National Trust facilities there?

Thanks alot,
Virginia

Posted by
6534 posts

Drove through it back in 2005. It was nice, but it wasn’t my favorite, and I’ve been to nicer places, even within the UK. We didn’t visit the caves. When we drove through, traffic was very light. If you’re in the area, by all means, drive through it.

JC - Lighten up. I didn’t say don’t go. I reworded my response so hopefully you’re not offended. Although it wasn’t my favorite, I wouldn’t have known had I not visited it. It’s just my opinion, and I don’t expect everybody to agree with it.

Posted by
1825 posts

I went several years ago as we were close by. I enjoyed it because it was mainly English tourists. However, we didn't spend much time there as it was very commercial and not really a natural park like area. So it depends on what you are looking for. If you are close, stop by and see if anything interests you, but I wouldn't go out of my way.

Posted by
203 posts

Hi Laurie Beth. and jaimeelsabio,

Thanks very much for your comments!

It sounds like the southern side is privately owned and very commercial, whilst the northern side is owned by the National Trust. We think we will drive through the gorge, and then do some part of the cliff walk, starting at the National Trust information center.

I really appreciate your opinions!

Regards,
Virginia

Posted by
5261 posts

Drove through it back in 2005. It was nice, but there are many places in the U.S. that are nicer.

That's missing the point somewhat. It's like saying you'll never experience anything as spectacular as Yellowstone NP so why go anywhere else?

I didn't go to Cheddar Gorge for the scenery, I went for the cheese!

Posted by
7662 posts

We were in England and Wales in October 2017 and took a day trip from Bath to Wells and Glastonberry. On the way back to Bath, we drove through Cheddar Gorge. It is interesting scenery, but we just drove through the area.

Posted by
2400 posts

It’s a nice drive and interesting if you like cheese. I’m not a cheese eater but I still found it interesting. my traveling companion really e joyed it and talked about it fo years.

Posted by
203 posts

Hi stephen, geovagriffith, and JC,

Thanks for all of your comments! My husband and I are looking forward to several aspects of this: the cheese, the drive, the information at the National Trust visitor center, and the walk along the cliffs (I believe). From videos I have seen, it appears to have some marvelous views.

Thanks again,
Virginia

Posted by
149 posts

I stayed in a cottage in a farm outside Cheddar this summer, while it’s not an idyllic town, Cheddar Gorge is very pretty, and if it’s a clear day you can see all the way to the Bristol Channel. Worth noting, locals speed through the gorge wayyyy too fast. Seriously made me nervous. I see you’re also from Austin, think speeding through RM-2222, but with a lot more curves in the road, and instead of the potential for deer in the road, mountain goats in the road.

Posted by
6113 posts

I delayed answering, as I have just visited today! We are staying near Wells.

We parked on the road in a residential area in the village for free. The spaces in the pay car park are not generous sized. NT members do not get free parking here.

We walked the 3 mile cliff top walk loop starting at the Eidelweiss tearoom - there are several options for walks. The path is poorly sign posted, particularly on the half not owned by the NT. Getting onto the cliff top to start the walk is a scramble - the route is very steep and has loose rocks underfoot and many of the boulders have been polished by the many boots treading them over the years, so they are slick. This would be treacherous if it were to rain. Parts of the track that are bare soil were slightly sticky mud and it hasn’t rained much here this week.

There are some good views from the cliff tops across the Somerset Levels, but for most part of the walk, you cannot see the gorge. It’s a scramble down to road level, across the road then onto the NT side and another scramble up including many steep steps. The path down into the village on the NT side was the worst of the 4 ups/downs that you need to negotiate. I can certainly feel my knees now!

The village of Cheddar itself is tacky and best avoided unless you want to pay over the odds for cheese, most of which isn’t made there. We drove up the gorge, which is very winding. Whoever drives won’t be able to see much, as you will have to focus on the road and there will probably be a stream of traffic behind you.

Cheddar Gorge itself was ok, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to go back there.

I much preferred the walk that we did yesterday at Brean Down where you get great views over the channel to Wales. This has a NT car park and tea cafe.

We have also visited Lytes Cary Manor (NT) which was one of their better presented properties. Wells itself is a gem. Glastonbury is on a par with Cheddar Gorge - I won’t be returning in a hurry.

We had hiking boots on and you certainly need shoes or boots with good supports.

Posted by
1069 posts

"I much preferred the walk that we did yesterday at Brean Down where you get great views over the channel to Wales. This has a NT car park and tea cafe."

Have to agree with Jennifer on that, did that walk last year, lovely views over the water to Barry and the old WW2 Fort was quite interesting.

Posted by
203 posts

Hi fellow Austinite Ashley,

I really appreciate your giving us some idea of what the drive through the gorge is like. Wow, "speeding through RM-2222, but with a lot more curves in the road" and "with the potential for running into goats" does not sound like much fun! More hair-raising than vacationing to tell you the truth.

Given that the drive is not alot of fun, and that the hike consists of lots of rough dealing with boulders and stones, we may opt instead for Brean Down where you get great views over the channel to Wales.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! It is tremendously helpful to hear what a place is really like from people that have actually been there!

Regards,
Virginia

Posted by
203 posts

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you SO MUCH for all of the details about the hike around Cheddar!! I had read that the trail was a little rough, but I didn'[t realize that it was so steep, and that you had to deal with loose rocks and boulders. And then if you aren't having to deal with rocks and boulders you are faced instead with sticky mud. I don't like the idea of having to "scramble" down any path, to tell you the truth. And to top it off, after all that work, you don't have the reward of seeing the Gorge.

I just checked out the National Trust's page on Brean Down, and it looks like a beautiful and marvelous walk! In addition, we like the idea of seeing the fort. The great views over the channel to Wales sound wonderful also! The NT car park and tea cafe are also things we would like to make use of.

We plan to spend 4 nights in Wells, and are looking forward to spending one day at the Cathedral, the Bishops Palace, and the town itself. Another one of the days I am slating for the town of Sherborne with its Steam and Waterwheel Centre and New Castle. Brean Down sounds like a marvelous way to spend our final full day based in Wells. We might try to find "Mr. Scrumpy himself", as Rick Steves talks about.

Once again, your advice is proving invaluable, Jennifer! You helped my husband and I plan our three prior trips to England, and are helping out so much with this, our fourth trip.

We can't thank you enough!

Virginia and Rod

Posted by
203 posts

Hi Harleydonski,

Thank you so much for your comment about Brean Down! Getting to see the views over the water to Barry and the old WW2 Fort sound like things my husband and I would really enjoy.

The walk itself sounds a great deal better than that at Cheddar!

I really appreciate your sharing your experience!

Thanks again,
Virginia and Rod

Posted by
6113 posts

Been to Sherborne today! Oliver’s Cafe there is a must - fantastic value cream teas and fresh fruit pavlova. The property used to be a butchers and retains its old facade and interior.

Posted by
203 posts

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you very much for your comment about Sherborne.

I found a post you wrote about this town in January of this year, and it sounds like exactly the type of place that my husband and I like to visit. We are very interested in the New Castle and the Steam and Waterwheel Centre. I will try to plan our visit so that we visit the town on a pumping day. I have watched several utube videos of the machines in action, and they look so interesting! We love watching machines like this, particularly when there are some humans that can give us some background on what the machines are doing.

Also, Oliver’s Cafe sounds like a MUST DO!!

We really love little market towns! To that end, we'll try to work in the little town of Castle Cary. Thanks for mentioning this.

Thank you so much for all of your extremely helpful advice, Jennifer!! Your advice has greatly added to all of the trips we have taken to England, and already have enriched our 2020 Fall trip.

Regards,
Virginia