Please sign in to post.

Channel Islands

Does anyone know how the Channel Islands have fared with Covid? Also do the islands follow guidelines set by Great Britain, or do they have their own guidelines?

Posted by
2399 posts

I don‘t know about the others, but Sark was given to the family as long as they kept pirates off it. I don‘t know if things have changed, but the Monsignor or Dame was the only family to have female animals.

Posted by
734 posts

Reporting from Guernsey! We have done amazingly well!!!
There have been two 2 month lock downs but other than that we are operating in the Old Normal, no masks, no social distancing, no curfew. Came out of the last lock down on 22 March. Also vacinating the population is going well, on a par with the Uk, if not ahead.
This has been achieved with very strict 2 week quarentines since March 2020 which are strictly policed and heavily fined if broken. Island wide support for these measures as it gives us freedom. We have even been featured in Paris Match! The quarentine time is just beginning to be relaxed.
You are correct, we are not UK, Great Britain or ever have been EU, we are part of the British Isles with out own Government, meaning we could set our own rules. What i have discribed about is for the Bailiwick of Guernsey ( Gsy, Herm, Sark and Alderney). The Bailiwick of Jersey has had a much more chaotic year under their Government.
Our motto has been Guernsey Together and it is treue and as an island we are very proud🙂

Posted by
317 posts

Thanks to all for the information. We are hoping to make the Channel Islands part of our next European trip which we hope won't be too far in the future!

Posted by
5261 posts

Just make sure you have backup plans if planning to leave from the port of St. Helier, French fishermen have a tendency to throw their toys out of the pram if things aren't going their way.

Posted by
991 posts

We had a wonderful time in Guernsey. Would love to go back someday. We took a flight from London Gatwick on Aurigny airlines and rented a cottage for the week in St. Martins. We took the boat ride out to visit Sark but did not manage to get to Herm. We also took a couple of tours on the island with locals as well as a photography class. It's a vacation away from a vacation sort of place. Watch the movie The Literary Potato Peel Society with Lilly James about the WWII occupation. Great movie!

Margaret

Posted by
1 posts

I'm invited to a Guernsey wedding in July, and have all my tickets in place, so I hope the rules have relaxed in London (and the Channel Islands) at that point, and there is no need for a quarantine. I've loved Guernsey ever since my first visit in 2004, when I read about the Little Chapel in the BTA travel magazine. It's the most fabulous place - spectacular scenery, lovely people and so very fun to explore. I go back every chance I get.

Posted by
4392 posts

The actor Martin Clunes (as in Doc Martin) has a series called Islands of Britain, and we just watched his episodes on the Channels. Entertaining and informative. You will have to do some searching on the Youtubes but they are on there. Just for background, they are several years old.

He also does a similar series of Islands of America which is also worth a watch.

Posted by
734 posts

The OP seems to have disappeared from this thread!!!!!

Posted by
317 posts

Yes, I'm afraid that I have been MIA for a time. We have had a new grand baby that has health issues, and I'm afraid that has been my focus. But I really do appreciate all the input about the Channel Islands, and hope that a trip there will become a reality before too long. I was able to find the utube documentary you mentioned phred and that has really increased my desire to visit. I hope that your July trip goes well stlwriter and that the rules are relaxed so that you are able to visit the places you have planned. The Little Chapel is something that had caught my eye as well. Actually The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was what first piqued our interest in the islands. We are a bit of history buffs, and the book is where we first became interested in visiting the islands. It seems that although they didn't see the physical trauma that so many areas saw during WWII, they played a bigger role than I was aware. We are hoping to visit early fall, but we will have to wait and see how things look by then.

Posted by
734 posts

Congratulations!
Am glad Pot Peel Pie got your interest, but may i recomend Island Madness by Tim Binding as a vastly better historical novel on tbe same theme. The lack of research done by the author of Pot Peel has driven alot of us locals mad, even basics such as the island facing the wrong direction!!!! When you grew up listening to your fathers stories about the Occupation it is very frustrating......
Also all the island have so much more to offer in history that WW2, as well as beaches, beautiful, cliff walks, wildlife and delicious sea food. Check out the films on Visit Guernsey
There is so much info out there I know you will have great fun planning your trip, but if you need any help please pm me🙂