Please sign in to post.

Changing Planes at Heathrow

A couple of years back, I was returning to the US (Philadelphia) from Frankfurt with a plane change at Heathrow. The Frankfurt flight was on a "puny" Airbus 320 or 321 (or similar plane) so it did not qualify for a gate at Heathrow. Accordingly, we deplaned on the tarmac and were bussed to the front of the Heathrow airport and were required to enter the same as though we were regular tourists just leaving London. This meant we had to go through security a second time (the first being in Frankfurt). The security process was unbearably slow and, in addition, my handbag was pulled aside for an arduous second check. After that ordeal, we proceeded to our departing gate. We already knew what the result was going to be--we missed our connection and had to stay in London overnight. My question is why this all had to happen and whether there is anything that can be done to avoid having to go through security a second time just because our plane, such as our Frankfurt plane, does/did not qualify to dock at a gate where we would have remained in the secure area and not have to go through security again. To this day, I just do not want to pass through Heathrow at all (for multiple reasons) and fear I may have to go on a planned trip to Scotland through Heathrow since American is not going to be flying directly from PHL to Edinburgh for a while (because of a shortage of 787s) and may fly us over to London first in another "puny" plane not qualified for a gate.

Posted by
11222 posts

Pretty much everyone transiting through LHR goes through a security screening before getting to their onward flight, regardless of where their arriving plane parks.

Posted by
16385 posts

What joe32F said. All passengers connecting at Heathrow have to go through security screening between their flights. It had nothing to do with the size of the planes (we have been on many A320-type planes that docked at a regular gate).

Recently there was a good thread on getting to Scotland ( Edinburgh or Glasgow) that mentioned several airlines that did not connect at Heathrow. I believe Delta/KLM was one’ but there were others as well. Maybe someone can help you find that thread—-it is in the Scotland forum.

Posted by
6453 posts

My question is why this all had to happen

As others have mentioned, because you always have to go through security when changing planes in the UK. Unless you arrived on a domestic flight. The EU has an agreement on common aviation security standards so that passengers arriving from another EU country, or from a country with equivalent security standards (such as USA or Canada), there is no need to go through security again. But even before they left the EU, the UK decided not to take part in that program and only trust passengers arriving from a UK airport. It has nothing to do with bus gates, and I don't think you where dropped landside as there would have been no way for passengers with London as their destination to go back airside to collect their luggage.

and whether there is anything that can be done to avoid having to go
through security a second time

Yes, don't book a flight that includes a connection in the UK.

To this day, I just do not want to pass through Heathrow at all (for
multiple reasons)

You're not alone, that is one of the reasons I avoid Heathrow for connecting flights.

and fear I may have to go on a planned trip to Scotland through
Heathrow since American is not going to be flying directly from PHL to
Edinburgh for a while (because of a shortage of 787s) and may fly us
over to London first in another "puny" plane not qualified for a gate.

There are other options, such as Aer Lingus via Dublin or KLM via Amsterdam. And if you are willing to travel to Washington or Newark you will have more options that do not involve Heathrow.

Posted by
15181 posts

I have never heard an Airbus 320 described as a "puny" plane. All flights are assigned a gate.

It is rare that aircraft are deplaned away from a gate at Heathrow. More than likely, there must have been a delay with other flights which caused your flight to deplane away from the gate. It has nothing to do with the size of your plane.

I've been through Heathrow more times than I remember and the only time I had to go to a plane by bus was when my departing flight's plane had technical problems at the gate and it was faster to bus us to the plane than to replace aircraft.

Everyone departing from Heathrow must go through security again.

If you decide to go through Dublin, give yourself extra time as you will go through US immigration and customs there as well as security.

Posted by
6608 posts

My experience has been the opposite of Frank’s. Of all my trips to the UK, all from the Baltimore/Washington area, only one time did the plane pulled up to a gate at Heathrow. We’ve always parked on the tarmac and were bussed to the terminal Pulling up directly to the terminal would 20-30 minutes. Our worst experience was waiting 45 minutes on the plane for the busses to show up almost causing us to miss a connection flight.

Posted by
2750 posts

You will not fly Philadelphia to London via American on a"puny" plane, AA uses A330s or 787s for this flight. Or sell you tickets for BA, using 777s.