Please sign in to post.

Changing of the Guard - Buckingham Palace

We saw Rick Steves at a travel show last year and during his presentation he referenced viewing the changing of the guards from the seventh floor of a nearby building.
I have looked through his books and websites but cannot find the information about how to access the seventh floor and of which building.
Has anyone done this?
Thanks,
Mary

Posted by
3122 posts

No, but we did take the Rick Steves advice to watch the changing of the guard from the St James Palace end. It afforded a much more closeup view and the crowd of spectators was small. In the time between the departure of the new guard and return of the old (retiring) guard, there was a parade with marching bands on the Mall. Not sure if the parade happens regularly, though.

Posted by
2776 posts

As the above post mentioned there is a parade on The Mall which is nice to see, but if you really want to see the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace you need to be there early to get up by the fence to be able to see. The ceremony normally takes place daily from April-July, so check if you will be there other months. Personally, I think that Changing the Queen's Life Guard at Whitehall is so much nicer to see, it takes place at 11:00 Monday-Saturday and 10:00 on Sunday.

Posted by
16333 posts

I am having trouble picturing a 7-story building with public access anywhere near the front of Buckingham Palace.

Posted by
2393 posts

That was me Lola - I even looked on google maps