Please sign in to post.

Ceremony of the keys tickets

This is a FYI post. We are going to London in April. I went in the website to check for tickets. The website says they are released ā€œin the first working day of the month for the following month at middayā€ Today is the first and a working day (took me a reading or two to let that sink in). I figured that midday is noon. I went in this morning at 7:07 and was #224 on the queue. Not bad. When I got through I saw a calendar without the ability to click on a date. The website said if you canā€™t click through check your cookies settings and it gives you instructions. To make a long story short, I was able to get to tickets on an iPad and the desktop BUT NOT ON MY IPAD MINI. I checked the cookie settings on all 3 devices and they were the same. I am going to do another trial run after daylight savings time. Good luck anyone trying for tickets.

Posted by
4072 posts

Interesting. But good for you for your experimentation and your success. I did this in 2016 with a group of kids and their parents - and some said it was one of the highlights of their trip. Got my tickets on a desktop, thoughā€¦.

Posted by
1318 posts

I have mine too!!! Will be going in about a week. Yippee

Posted by
6296 posts

I loved the Ceremony of the Keys - I went to it on my last night in England back in 1996. I had been to a London Walks pub tour prior to the ceremony, which involved some major beer drinking, and by the time I got there, I had to REALLY use the WC. I asked one of the guards if there were any public restrooms and he said there were not, but very kindly took me into his quarters to use the loo. I doubt that would happen today but I was so grateful for his kindness.

But outside of the that, the ceremony is wonderful and definitely not to be missed.

Posted by
3834 posts

When our original trip was planned I was not able to get tickets. At least this time they told you when they are released. I know Iā€™m a little early but I didnā€™t want to miss out this trip

Posted by
8660 posts

Enjoyed seeing this over a decade ago. Love the tradition and the history.

Recall our Beefeater guide was a Jimmy Cagney incarnate. An American couple in their 20ā€™s was in our group. The young male was a complete twit. The young woman mortified. Kept trying to shush him.

Finally the Beefeater had enough and without touching the guy maneuvered him away from us and out of the Tower. The companion said ā€œ thank you. ā€œ

We applauded the guide.

Following the end of the tour a few of us walked the young woman outside and across the road to the Tower Hill tube. She was grateful.

Posted by
518 posts

Thank you for your FYI

I wanted tickets for December and set my alarm for today, November 1, to be ready at 4 am PST ā€œin the first working day of the month for the following month at middayā€. At 3:45 am I checked and they were already for sale (10:45 am London). We got our tickets for 12/18. Yeah! Iā€™m glad I checked a little earlier however at 4:10 when I went back to bed they still had tickets.

Posted by
3834 posts

I got up early today to check too, but Iā€™m not going till April. Just curious, what device did you use.

Posted by
518 posts

I used my HP laptop but I was also able to check on my iPhone

Posted by
457 posts

Glad this came up, I am also going next April and wanted to test the process but forgot, now I can write myself a reminder to try this Dec 1st, Jan 2nd(?) and Feb 1st, then the real thing on Mar 1st ... just checked the website, all tickets for Dec are gone ... I did see the following: Tickets will be released on 01 November at 09.45 ... so it looks like I'll be starting my test at 2:45am (or 1:45am depending on moving clocks back and forth) ... hope everyone gets (or got) the date/time they want!

Posted by
3834 posts

Glad you replied cause the website had said they were released midday. Now youā€™re reporting they start at 9:45 London time. I set a reminder in my phone and on my calendar.

Posted by
1943 posts

it was one of the highlights of my vacation in London. There were some kids there who really enjoyed watching the Yeoman Warders. Seeing them walking by lantern was pretty atmospheric. But it will be weird to hear them called King Charles' keys.

Posted by
3834 posts

Oh yeah, forgot about that. We are due to leave May 5, the day prior to the coronation. Should be an interesting week.

Posted by
101 posts

I did the Ceremony of the Keys in 2005 and it was really nice (I think I had to send an actual letter or something to get tickets, I got it for my entire group). I'm also going to be there in April so I guess I'll set an alarm for March 1st!

Posted by
457 posts

So I meant to do another 'test' on Jan 1st (or 2nd) to see what time (central) tickets actually became available but forgot (again) ... did anyone try it? (and what were your results) ... I have one more test date (Feb 1st) before the real thing on March 1st for my trip in April ... I just looked and saw there were still some tickets available in February on several Mondays and Tuesdays ... thanks.

Posted by
457 posts

Oops I did it again ... forgot to check on 2/1 what time tickets went on sale for March ... that was my last chance at testing, so am hoping someone else tried and found out what time they went on sale ... I just checked (2 days after they became available) and there are 8 days with availability left in March so even if I don't hit the time exactly, I should get my date (unless I forget again) ... thanks.

Posted by
3223 posts

Barbara, did you get tkts? We are going to London as well for 12 days in the fall and I would also like to get tkts for the Keys ceremony.

Posted by
3834 posts

I did another test this past Wednesday, March 1. I awoke at 5:00 am and tried to logon - nothing. 6:00 am nothing yet. 6:30 I got the box with a queue # then it disappeared. I tried again. Nothing. Then it dawned on me - I was using my iPad mini after I had warned everyone above I had problems. I ran downstairs to my computer and woohoo I was in. I waited about 15 minutes for my number to come up and tickets were available for every day.

I have to purchase my tickets on March 1st. Will set a reminder in my phone again. Will begin at 6:00 New York time.
PS - is this part of the fun of planning, not sure

Posted by
457 posts

Thanks Barbara, looks like I'll start banging away on my laptop around 5am central and won't stop until I (hopefully) get them ...

is this part of the fun of planning, not sure

I wouldn't call it fun, but definitely one of the many challenges when planning

Posted by
1 posts

It looks like many people have done a lot of "testing" on when tickets become available and what devices they work on.

Would anyone happen to know if Saturday is considered "a working day". I am planning on purchasing tickets for a May 2023 date, which means they would go on sale April 1st, but that is a Saturday. Will tickets become available for sale on Saturday or do I need to wait until Monday, April 3rd to get May tickets?

Posted by
501 posts

No, Saturday is not considered a ā€œworking dayā€ in the usual UK sense of the phrase.

Posted by
457 posts

Monday April 3rd approx 9am London time is when you should check ... don't know where you are so can't provide what time you should check ... figure out the time and start checking about 15 min before just in case they become available before 9am ... good luck.

Posted by
1 posts

Ignorant question... how do I check my cookies? Trying to get tickets for May. I was in a que this morning with a count down until could get tickets, but then couldn't click on anything on calendar. Wondering if it is the "cookies" issue.

Posted by
32738 posts

you wouldn't get anything today - the tickets are released for the general public on the First day of the month. At the moment here in England it is about 10:30 pm. Usually the release is at around 9am.

Has anyone had success on 4/3/23? If so, at what time? It is past 9am London time already and I am still seeing the May dates blocked off.

Posted by
5732 posts

When you get through to ticketing the note now says

Ticket will be released on the first working day of the month for the following month at midday.

So try again then, in 90 minutes from now. I know it says 0900 elsewhere!!

Posted by
13 posts

Tickets for May went on sale at 11:00 London time. I was able to get my tickets around 11:30. There were still tickets available at that time.

Posted by
62 posts

Glad you got some! I went back to sleep and am in line waiting again. Fingers crossed there are still some tickets left.

Wow! 5 hours after being posted there are only 2 days in May with tickets available! I was lucky to get some right at 11am (London time). For those looking at this in the future: Saturday and Sunday are not considered ā€œworking daysā€ and in the case of 4/3/23, the tickets went up at 11am London time.

Posted by
3834 posts

So stressful and aggravating when your computer doesnā€™t cooperate. Hope it is worth all the trouble.

Posted by
763 posts

Just a small rant. I was ready to go at 0400. Kept an eye on the website while doing my regular stuff. When the tickets were released I went on and got in the queue. 1 hour later, my turn came up. Followed the instructions, but the link would only take me to the monthly calendar showing none of the dates yet available. (Little lines through each number). I kept trying to proceed until my 10 minutes ran out. So, I rejoined the queue, got a new number and was looking at a 30 minute wait. Same thing happened. At that point I just got dressed and got on with the day. Anyone else have a problem this morning, or it yet another example of the billions of negative ions flowing from my fingertips?

Posted by
277 posts

Very sorry some of you have had trouble. My go around is May 1, trying for June. Iā€™m on the east coast as well, so Iā€™m going to set my alarm for 0400, too.
Iā€™m gearing myself up for any outcome really!

Am I reading it correctly that this month the online queue didnā€™t get going until 11:00 London time? What caused that? I had read in other threads it was always a 9:00 am opening.

Posted by
5732 posts

They changed the wording on the site this month to say that tickets are now released at noon.
As in previous months they were released about 1 hour earlier than the stated time.
So next month it seems likely it will be a noon (for which read 11am) release rather than the previous 9 am release (which regularly seems to have been closer to 8am)

Posted by
3834 posts

When I went on to get my tickets I experienced the blank calendar. I accidentally hit the back button and the dates showed up. Very frustrating.

Posted by
62 posts

@Wanderlust58 I did the same thing!

I woke up at 3:45am to get ready for the 4:00am (9:00am London) release. I entered the queue over and over again, waiting for the tickets to be released but only saw the calendar with the dates crossed out. I finally went back to bed and thankfully got up an hour later and was able to get tickets. They were released at 6:00am EST (11:00am London).

Posted by
9 posts

I logged in at 445 CST and got right in to the queue. Then over the next 2.5 hours I entered the queue another 5 times, followed all of the advice about unblocking pop ups/ clearing the cache, and logged in on 3 different devices (iPhone, iPad and laptop) to no avail. Might have been one of the more frustrating experiences I have had in awhile. Now I am tired and have no tickets.

Posted by
501 posts

Might have been one of the more frustrating experiences I have had in awhile. Now I am tired and have no tickets.

Today is Bank Holiday Monday so tomorrow will be the first working day of the week.

(Incidentally when did this become a must-do for US tourists? I know no one in Britain who has ever attended, and the only reason I even know about the Ceremony of the Keys is from this forumā€¦ šŸ˜€)

Posted by
277 posts

Golden Girl, thanks for the verification about the Bank Holiday date. I heard about this from a friend who went and said it was so impressive, so thatā€™s my motivation behind acting like a teenage Taylor Swift fan and getting up crazy early to score tickets! šŸ˜Š Good luck to those, should we call ourselves ā€œKeysiesā€?, who are dedicated enough to seeing this ceremony that weā€™re pecking away at our keyboards before the birds start their morning songs!

Posted by
9 posts

That is good info to have - makes me feel less inept! šŸ˜‚. And I got a great chuckle over my AM activities. Thank you Golden Girl!

Posted by
3834 posts

Itā€™s definately worth it to get up early. The Yoeman who explained all to us was a sweetheart and quite funny. After it was over he even stayed behind to answer questions. Itā€™s just something different and fun being there in the evening.

Posted by
5732 posts

I've been donkeys years ago when it was still quite a small affair. Then you mailed in for tickets and waited months for a reply.
After last month, when there was also uncertainty over the date of release, I decided not to reply, as whatever I wrote would have turned out to be wrong- either false hopes, or losing people tickets. Such is the lack of clarity over the release date.

Guys, what is the CUE?! I have looked at the HRP website for days and I cannot figure out a link / location to find tickets.... Help a girl out!

Posted by
277 posts

A queue is a line in which you wait- either physically or in our case, online. I am still only seeing a clickable link for the ā€œ members only ceremonyā€. That will take me sometimes into a queue (the green bar moving across) but I donā€™t think that is the link non- members need. Iā€™m thinking they havenā€™t been released yet.

Clare try tying in the search box on the main page ā€œceremony of the keysā€. It will take you to another specified site. I think that is where the ticket option will beā€¦. I hope!

So the queue will probably pop up directly on the site by the "members only" link? I think that's where I'm most nervous, that I'm looking in the wrong place...

Posted by
277 posts

It would make sense if thereā€™s a box below or near where it says ā€œ members onlyā€. Iā€™m not sure either, I hope this is where it is.

Mustlovedogs, good luck getting tickets. I'm still hopeful I'm in the right place, and if anybody else has insight let us know!

Posted by
350 posts

has anyone had any success entering the que. So far no link that I can see.

Posted by
5732 posts

If you click on the 'members only' link, then on the next page there is a yellow button at bottom right which says 'Buy Tickets Online', that is what you want, then you enter the virtual queue.
Pretty counter-intuitive, but there you are.
Not that bookings seem to have opened yet, at 11.08 am, after you have waited!

Posted by
277 posts

Thanks isn31c! At least we know the entrance pathway to what is seeming to be ā€œgolden ticketsā€!

Posted by
350 posts

no luck yet. Thought I was in a que waited 10 min then it showed only May which is sold out.

Nope, I haven't even seen an option to enter a queue yet... Still not 100% I'm looking in the right place!! It's right on the page that offers "members only" dates, right?

Posted by
9 posts

Okay that is what Iā€™m seeing as well (only May which is sold out) - when I advance the month to June all of the dates are in red with a line through them. I am beginning to think it was easier 20 years ago when I had to write a letter and send it to receive paper tickets šŸ˜‚

Posted by
277 posts

Does anyone else find all of us doing this just a tad hysterical? šŸ˜‚ maybe itā€™s my lack of sleep, but Iā€™m having a chuckle rn. My sweet dog is just so confused with his morning routine being totally disrupted. Lol Best of luck everyone!

Posted by
350 posts

I am wondering if they actualy go on sale noon London time. I had read 11 but the website does say midday as opposed to a specific time.

Posted by
9 posts

Yes - I am totally with you! I feel like I did in college repeat dialing Ticketmaster for concert tickets! My cats are equally confused but happy to have early breakfast!

Mustlovedogs yup, 100% hysterical, but now I'm determined! My dogs are bleary-eyed looking at me too, we've been up since 4 AM :)

OK, I refreshed the page and the ONLY date I can see to book tickets is June 30th?! Is it happening in reverse?!

Posted by
350 posts

just got in and was able to get a ticket. As of 5 min ago most dates are still green.
Good luck everyone.

Posted by
9 posts

Tickets became available at 604 Central Standard Time - so 1204 London time. Midday was correct! Hopefully everyone else was successful!

Posted by
277 posts

Did the clear, closed everything, opened again. Tried desktop, iPad and phone. Really disappointed

Posted by
10 posts

Ugh. I had the same issue as mustlovedogs. šŸ¤¬

Been following along here for months. Trying now and getting same ā€œoopsā€ screen over & over. šŸ˜•

Posted by
277 posts

I just donā€™t understand this. Iā€™m getting the oops page every time I hit the next button after adding tickets to the basket. Did the donation, hit next and every time on each device I get the ā€œoopsā€ page. Tried choosing different dates, closed down, cache and cookies clearā€¦Maybe its not meant to be.

Posted by
2 posts

Mustlovedogs, I am having the same issue. I have seen the Ceremony several times, and it is excellent! I'm returning with a friend who has not been, and I know she will love it. I will shut my computer down, have a cup of tea, and regroup. I will then try again! It is very frustrating! Best of luck :-)

Switched to desktop, waited 30 mins in queue, chose green date, even added a donationā€¦same ā€œoopsā€ page. I give Up. Been up & trying since 3am in California. Iā€™m gonna get some sleep and start over in a couple hours I guess šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

Posted by
2 posts

Iā€™m having a hard time as well. Something I didnā€™t consider - do you actually need to be a member and be logged in as such?

Posted by
277 posts

I was wondering about that as well. If so Iā€™ll have to pass. Donā€™t see becoming one just for this one visit

Posted by
5732 posts

Is the problem the Multi Factor Authentication, or some other issue, with your credit card.

Posted by
277 posts

No, I canā€™t even get to the payment page. Husband tried on his phone, as well. I get to the june calendar, select my date, punch the only time, wheel spins, then goes to how many tickets. Drop doen box, choose 3. Cluck on donation ( tried no donation as well). Hit next ( which I assume would be for payment) and every time an ā€œoops this page does not exist ā€œ message comes up.

Although I hate to give up after so much time invested, Iā€™m about done, really. Weā€™ve cleared everything. Shut down, booted up. Oh well. Sorry to have taken up so much thread space with my troubles!

Posted by
4 posts

I am getting the OOPS message on every device I try with (2 different cell phones, 2 computers, different browsers..) Allowed cookies, etc. Got up at 3:45am here in California. Been trying for over 2 hours. Super frustrating. Any advice? Thanks!

Posted by
1 posts

I am getting the same "oops" message. All days are still green except the 1st (yellow), 29th (black), and 30th (yellow) and the 18th (red dashed). I had three in my basket for 06/13 and could not check out - then the option to check out disappeared and June went back to what it looked like before they opened for tickets (red dashes through all dates).

I am back in the queue on my phone...hopefully that will work.

Posted by
213 posts

My husband and I have been trying from separate computers from different locations and have experienced the same as those posters above. Iā€™m in the queue again, but just now I see a red bar with a note saying tickets are temporarily unavailable on this other page:

https://www.hrp.org.uk/tower-of-london/whats-on/ceremony-of-the-keys/

Maybe theyā€™re having technical issues. Iā€™m going to check back thru the day as Iā€™m able.

Posted by
4 posts

Iā€™ve been following this all morning. Have had the same problems as everyone else. Just got in line again and was able to purchase tickets. At this moment there are a few green days left but mostly yellow and a couple of red and black. Try again!

Posted by
4 posts

I don't know when ticket sales opened up this morning; stayed up until 1:45 AM waiting. Got up at 6:15, waited over an hour but was able to get June tickets. There were still many slots open in June at this point - the most on the 22nd. Good Luck

Posted by
2 posts

I just got mine too! They are going fast so if this is a must-do, don't wait. So stressful!

Posted by
277 posts

Finally šŸ˜Š this process about broke me, but weā€™re set! Canā€™t wait for our trip and all the experiences- but this one will definitely be memorable- even before we get there! Thanks to all who were in this discussion- I hope everyone can be successful in due time!

Posted by
213 posts

I also managed to get tickets around 11:45 AM EST. We had two evenings available in London, and only one of them still had tickets, so i fell lucky that it worked out!

Posted by
3834 posts

So Happy everyone was able to get their tickets. Even my husband, who kept asking, ā€˜why are we doing thisā€™ was impressed.

Posted by
4 posts

After waking up at 3:45 AM in California and trying for 3 hours, I had to start my day with my kiddos, and by the time they wrote back to me that the tech problems were fixed, June was all sold out. Such a bummer. Glad that some folks were able to get tix! Please let us know how it is! I'll strategize even better for my next trip to London. :0)

Posted by
10 posts

Mustlovedogs so glad you got your tickets! I gave up at 4 am Alaska timeā€”hadnā€™t gone to bed. Canā€™t decide if Iā€™m frustrated that the technical issue was on their end or relieved that it wasnā€™t me! Enjoy your visit!

Posted by
277 posts

AK Jo, thank you, but I wish I could share! We got very lucky. I had resigned myself to just moving on with the day and had parked at the grocery store when my husband texted me saying he had gotten into line after the fix. He feels like the he should be coronated along with Charles now lol. Scored big points with the kids, especially the history fanatic!

I hope anyone who wants to go, can see it at some point. Iā€™m hoping to write a trip report when we return and share our thoughts of this event.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks for this thread. Anyone else waking up for July tickets?

Posted by
3 posts

Is anyone trying to get tickets today for July? I'm having similar issues as above, getting in the queue but then all the July dates have the red line through them. Fingers crossed!

Posted by
3 posts

Reading through comments it looks like tickets were released as early as 10 am London time in the past. I had hoped that getting in the queue meant that tickets were available but it appears that they are not yet. I'll wait until noon London time but then need to go back to sleep and keep my fingers crossed for the morning here. It's 3:41 am.

Posted by
5 posts

Iā€™m on the site now but they only have dates up to the 11th. Iā€™m looking for the last week of July. Gutted.

Posted by
3 posts

For anyone who comes across this for a later month, tickets for July went on sale exactly at noon London time on 6/1. I had joined the queue a little bit before noon (I don't remember exactly how much time because it's 4 am here and I'm tired). I wasn't sure if this was the way to go but it worked for me! The July dates had the red line through them. When I refreshed exactly at 4 am, the dates started opening up and within a few minutes, the date that I wanted opened.

There are several times that you have to click to a next page and the wait time while the browser was spinning was stressful because the timer on your cart is ticking down but I had plenty of time to input my information and get tickets. Good luck everyone!

Posted by
1 posts

FYI, I got in the queue at 6 am NYC time and kept refreshing. At exactly 7 am tickets opened up. First it was only the first week in July and then a few minutes later the entire month. I was able to log on with my Iphone and I Pad. We got tickets for late July! Good luck everyone.

Posted by
9 posts

This might be a total newbie question, but can I use the "members-only" link from a few posts up to get in, even if I am not a member? Thank you to any "keysies" who answer :)

Posted by
32738 posts

I'm afraid that the members only link is only for members (like me). The tickets offered to members are only a few times a year, on members only nights, and members have to log in.

Posted by
5732 posts

It is, it's just the odd way the Tower does it.

Note that tickets for August are expected to be released at 12 noon on Monday 3 July, as that is the first WORKING day of the month Saturday 1 July does not count as a working day.

Posted by
2 posts

Hello! Thank you for this great info. I'll be trying on July 3 for my trip in August.

What is the proper link to buy tickets (please)? I have this page: https://www.hrp.org.uk/tower-of-london/whats-on/ceremony-of-the-keys/#gs.2ktgjp but there is no link to buy tickets there. However, there is a link on this page to a members only page (I'm not a member) and on that page: https://www.hrp.org.uk/tower-of-london/whats-on/member-only-ceremony-of-the-keys/#gs.2ktggn there is a link. Is that the one to use, or will a link appear on the first page?

Thank you!
Jason

Posted by
358 posts

The link doesn't show when you can't buy - only when you can

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks. I got em! I got on the Queue at 7am New York Time, and got in to buy them at 7:35.

Posted by
9 posts

I got tickets earlier today as well. I used the members-only link: https://www.hrp.org.uk/tower-of-london/whats-on/member-only-ceremony-of-the-keys/#gs.2ktggn. I used the Chrome browser on my desktop computer. I clicked on the buy tickets online yellow button on the lower right at 6:45 New York time and was notified I was entering the queue and was 40th in line to purchase tickets. The August tickets were not up yet when I got in so I kept refreshing. At exactly 7am New York time, I refreshed and was notified I was 130th in line and had to wait 10 minutes. I actually ended up waiting 22 minutes before getting in. It took forever for the pages to load.

Finally, I got to the calendar, and my date (on a Wednesday) was green, indicating there was good availability. Once I clicked on the date, selected the time and number and my tickets were in the cart, the timer indicating I had 15 minutes to purchase them started counting down. Everything was super slow, and I ended up with only 5 minutes left on the timer before I got all my info in. I pressed the final purchase button, and my confirmation page was not loading. Luckily, I checked my email inbox and the transaction went through and my ticket download was linked in the email. I was doing this simultaneously on my phone using the Safari browser as a backup, and was able to get in about 5 minutes after I got in on my desktop. However, the page timed out on my phone after the tickets were in my cart, and there was no way for me to reload or get back in the queue. I would definitely do this on two or more devices, just in case you time out or have other technical difficulties.

Definitely get up early to get in line at exactly 7am, especially if you have a limited number of nights when you can go (we could only go on one specific night). I just checked at 11:15, and there are only 8 days left with low availability. All the days had 4 or fewer tickets left. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help. It was a stressful experience, and this is coming from a mom who also waited in a queue to get her kid Taylor Swift tickets.