Please sign in to post.

Castle recommendations

This questions gets asked quite a bit I'm sure, but does anyone have any Castle hotel recommendations in England and/or Scotland? My wife and I would love stay a night in each spot, but finding the right ones is a bit overwhelming at this point.

Posted by
992 posts

If you are heading south, how about Leeds Castle, in Kent? We stayed there last June and it was truly amazing. The price for a hotel room in one of their B&Bs (old stables) is very reasonable. I booked directly through their website at https://leeds-castle.com/ You can actually stay in a room in the Castle for a higher price. The views were amazing and you get to wander the grounds after the day visitors have left. The cost of the stay also includes a ticket to the castle and grounds. We stayed for 2 nights and practically had the place to ourselves (mid-June, when UK schools are still in session). There are hourly train services from London Victoria to Bearsted, which is the nearest station to Leeds Castle. The entire journey takes around 1.5 hours. You can taxi from the station to the Castle.

Posted by
1022 posts

Do you have areas that you are interested in visiting or are you more concerned about staying in the castles and you will build your trip around that? Will you have a car?

Posted by
13 posts

Way back in 2013, my husband and I spent two nights at Langley Castle in Hexham. It was not too over the top expensive and we enjoyed having drinks in the drawing room, followed by a great dinner in the restaurant. I see that they are still operational with excellent Google reviews.

Posted by
6572 posts

Over near the Wales border is Thornbury Castle Hotel. It is pricey and having a rental car to get to nearby sights might be a good idea.

Posted by
5838 posts

Muncaster Castle in Cumbria- you stay in the Coachman's quarters, not the actual castle, but you get free entry into the gardens at any time (even after hours) also into the Hawk and Owl Centre, and reduced entry into the Castle.