Please sign in to post.

Car service

Hello - I am wondering if anyone has used a car service. Looking for a driver to drive from Manchester to Edinburgh . I can rent a car and do the drive myself but would rather have a driver so I can sit back and enjoy the scenery. Does anyone have a recommendation.

Posted by
6856 posts

If you want to get from Manchester to Edinburgh and not drive, the obvious solution is to take the train.

Posted by
7 posts

I am aware of the train option but not everyone in my party is mobile and I am thinking a car service might be easier than navigating the train with luggage. Just wondering if there is another option.

Posted by
6856 posts

How many are in your party? Plenty of less mobile people take the train every day.

But if you still want to go for the driver route, my suggestion would be to ask the hotel to arrange it. I hope you realise that it will not be cheap.

Posted by
7 posts

Yes, I am aware just checking options. 3 individuals in our group. 2 not mobile. Meaning unable to lift their own luggage and or move swiftly. We may be destined to use the train which would be lovely but I do not want to overly tax them so they are not able to enjoy beautiful Edinburgh.

Posted by
6856 posts

Yes, I am aware just checking options.

I found a company through google, and their website gave me a price of a bit over £1300 for that trip. There might be cheaper options though.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for your help. I too have googled and am aware of the pricing. Appreciate the information. Looks like we will take a chance that we can manage the train.

Posted by
1293 posts

The National Express coach takes a long time (nearly 7 hours) but it will be easier for your companions. Luggage is put under the bus before you board so there is less difficulty carrying it. There’s more time to board as well so no stress about finding your seat or your correct carriage.

The train will be difficult if you are trying to manage several people’s luggage yourself and provide assistance to the less mobile.

Posted by
2799 posts

My sister-in-law and I spent a month in England last May, going back this May, We used the train a lot, it never failed that another person would offer to pay ur luggage on and off the train, they were great.

Posted by
7393 posts

At Manchester Piccadilly, if on decide to take the train, pre-book assistance, the staff will load your luggage and ensure you are at the right place on the platform for your booked seats. This will also ensure that the train is held long enough for you to board on what is a very short scheduled dwell time at the platform (the train has started at the airport). They will also ensure that assistance meets you at Edinburgh.
This is everyday work for the Staff.
See this web page-
https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/plan-assistance.aspx

Posted by
33509 posts

do avail yourself of Assistance.

It can be done with little stress on the folks with difficulties, and if they, like me, get stiffening up legs sitting still - on a train they can stand up, walk about, go to the loo (if you are in the car with the disabled toilet there is a lot of room in there) and there are knobs or bars to grab on the end of every seat so they can be stable as they stroll. You can't do that in a car or a coach.

And you'll save an absolute fortune and be able to see the beautiful scenery.

Posted by
2540 posts

The platforms in Britain are high meaning that you don’t have steps to climb when entering carriages as boarding is almost level. They even bring out ramps for those in wheelchairs.

Posted by
2212 posts

I have a friend who is disabled and she regularly uses assistance to help her with train journeys. She says they are wonderful!