Please sign in to post.

Car rentals

We are trying to decide if we need to rent a car for the entire 21 day visit to Salisbury and Fordingham or will we be able to travel by train and coach to explore the area. Also noticed that some car rentals do not rent to over 70 years old...we are 75...any suggestions for us?
Thanks,
Bonnie

Posted by
3551 posts

Umight look into finding a group tour for your interests.
Car rentals are strict about drivers age.

Posted by
239 posts

Most of the companies will hire to over 75s, but you might have to pay quite a bit for insurance. You can use the train to get about, though that will restrict you a bit. The best bet might be to hire a car just for a few days and use public transport the rest of the time.

Posted by
5326 posts

That article is somewhat simplistic - there are for example no age limits at Hertz, Avis, Sixt or Enterprise in the UK. Budget used to be the main problem renter, don't know if it still is, as it depended on the individual franchise.

Posted by
970 posts

It very much depends on where, and when, you want to travel.

A 21-day car rental will be expensive. You may find that you can depend on rail/buses for much of your needs and only require a rental for specific days.

Insurance requirements can differ from those in the U.S. I've found it useful to phone the specific outlet I plan to rent from and verify their requirements.

Posted by
32712 posts

Asking the question is worth the time. Rentals are available.

My Dad rented a car when he was 82.

Posted by
16893 posts

A Seattle-based travel agent told us that they usually can find car rentals for their senior clients by shopping around. Any rental company should ask the driver's age right up front, or if not, you should tell them. I agree that a 21-day rental sounds expensive.