Please sign in to post.

Car Rental Return

We plan to visit London for a couple of days and then get a rental car some place close and drive the countryside. We are hoping that we can return it near the Holyhead ferry terminal before we take a 9 am ferry on Saturday bound for Dublin. After researching a bit, it doesn't look like the rental car companies are open by 7:30 am on Saturday. Do you know if you can return a car without them being open? We plan to leave Shropshire early that morning. Thank you!

Posted by
7465 posts

After researching a bit, it doesn't look like the rental car companies are open by 7:30 am on Saturday. Do you know if you can return a car without them being open?

Generally, yes, although you would almost certainly have to return it to a rental office. If there is no office at the ferry terminal, you will have to arrange for transport from the office to the terminal.

I did that in Plymouth this year. I returned mine to a Europcar office on a Bank Monday when the office was closed, although there was an employee who came in for another reason an I gave him the keys. And I've done it a couple of other times. Usually there is a fee involved in doing so.

BUT yes, I agree that you need to definitely check with the rental agency. If you book it online, just put the location you want and the date, and it should let you know that the office will be closed and whether there will be a fee. Just make SURE when you pick it up that you remind them of this, and ask for specific instructions on where to leave the car and what to do with the key.

Which rental agency are you thinking about using?

Posted by
1096 posts

It depends on the company, but I have OFTEN returned a rental car outside of hours. Usually the process is to park the car in the designated area, and put the keys in a box (or even once, I was instructed to leave them in the glovebox).