Please sign in to post.

car rental insurance

hi, I am still unsure of what I need after spending hours of research. plan to rent a car for 5 days . will pick up in Bath and return car to LLandudno in wales. the policy says that CDW is included but it does not specify what the deductible is. I have read that this can be quite high and they may offer a super CDW to offset the cost of deductible. my question is this, if I purchase a car rental insurance plan with my travel insurance and refuse their insurance ,will I still have liability insurance thru the car rental. I read that this is included and mandatory. however if I decline CDW will I still be covered for liability? thanks Susan

Posted by
6534 posts

As I understand it, liability insurance is compulsory in Europe and is included in the rental price. I’ve often declined the rental agency’s CDW, in lieu of other CDW, e.g., through a company like Allianz. Since I reserve and choose my coverages online, the rental car company doesn’t even ask me about CDW when picking up the vehicle. Depending on the country, it will ask about coverages for damage to the windshield, theft (if not already included) and pre-pay fuel option if deciding to return the vehicle without a full tank of gas (seldom you the cost unless the car is returned essentially on empty).

Posted by
2506 posts

Third-party insurance is always included and comes with the car rental. If you decline to take their CDW insurance then the car hire company may put a hold on your card so they can charge you for any damage. Then you recover the costs from your insurance company.