Please sign in to post.

Car rental at Heathrow

In my coming Sept trip to UK, I need to hire a car at Heathrow probably T3 and returning it at the same place 3 days later.

I did not have a good experience with Avis last year and really want to try other car rental company. However, I have the impression that Avis (and Budget) is the only company that you can collect (and return) your car at LHR (it was T5 last year) without needing to travel to somewhere away from the T3/T5 building by a shuttle bus. The reason I want to avoid this extra travelling is I shall have 3-4 large cases and do not really want to bring all these heavy cases onto the shuttle bus and then get them back, and reload into the rental car (which is going to be an estate, shall use some back seat space as well as there are only are only 3 of us travelling in the car including the driver).

Also, I get confused with all the car rental websites as most of them just refer me back to the same or similar agent which does not clearly say where the car collection location is or even tell me what the exact car rental company is.

Posted by
16893 posts

I don't know the answer to your question, but the car rental return map makes me think some in-airport transfers will always be necessary. Can you store some bags at the airport for three days? Is there no way to pack lighter?

Posted by
32821 posts

I have been asked in a PM to respond to this thread. If I had had anything to contribute I would have done, but because I drive my own car and don't rent cars - last rental was a van to move furniture 10 years ago, last car was about 18 years ago - so I don't know from Heathrow car rental.

BUT - I will go off like a bomb about something you wrote above -

shall use some back seat space as well as there are only are only 3 of us travelling

Do you have a death wish? Or wish to remove one of your passengers from further travel?

A piece of luggage in the back seat is lethal. I used to have to respond to car crashes many years ago. If your bag weighs 20 kg or 44 pounds and you are in an accident - the car stops, you stop (hopefully seatbelted and airbagged) and that 44 pounds keeps going at 30 mph or 50 mph or whatever speed you were driving at and hits you in the back of the head and that's the end.

Can you survive 44 pounds hitting the back of your head at 50 mph (or even 30)? Not many people do. I've seen it too often.

Either get a car with a big enough boot to securely store all your luggage or take less luggage.

Good luck with your rental.

EDIT - I see that you are traveling with large suitcases. Make that 30 or 40 KG hitting you...

Posted by
31 posts

The estate car that I hope to be renting should have enough room at boot for 3-4 pieces medium-large cases. The extra back seat should only be used for hand carry cases.

Thanks for your advice and reminder.