Please sign in to post.

Capital One 360 - A No-fee ATM Debit Card for London?

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience using a Capital One 360 debit card in London. Capital One says that it does not charge ATM fees with this debit card, but I was curious as to the availability of ATMs in London that will accept this card. Anyone with experience who would be willing to share information?

Thanks,

Posted by
144 posts

Capital One 360 debit card is a Mastercard, so no worries, it's accepted most everywhere on Earth.

Let them know your travel dates and the countries you will be visiting before you leave home.

Happy travels!

Posted by
5687 posts

Yeah, it will be accepted everywhere in Europe - doesn't need to be a specific ATM. Some ATMs in Europe may charge a fee, but it's most likely at an ATM not owned by a bank. I haven't been to the UK in a while, but I've never been charged a fee by an ATM anywhere in Europe, ever. My debit and ATM cards charge no fee but one charges a 1% conversion fee.

I avoid EuroNet ATMs, but otherwise as long as it is owned by some bank, I don't care which one.

Posted by
3516 posts

Yes, I use my Cap One 360 Master Card Debit card at ATMs often in London as well as he rest of Europe. So far has worked everywhere I wanted it to with absolutely zero fees charged by Capital One. Also, so far no fees charged by the ATM either. Just watch for DCC where they offer to charge you in dollars (or whatever your home currency is). I stick with Bank owned and operated ATMs. I do not use the Debit card to make purchases.

Posted by
7244 posts

Bailey, you mentioned “ATM”, so I want to confirm that you’re talking about a bank account withdrawal. “Cash advances”, which are not account withdrawals, are very expensive for any revolving credit card at any ATM, anywhere.

Posted by
11 posts

Tim,

Yes, I am speaking of a bank account withdrawal as a debit transaction from an ATM, not a cash advance on a credit card. Thanks for asking for a clarification!

Posted by
27039 posts

I am nearly certain I encountered bank-owned ATMs in the UK last year that charged fees, though some did not. Your Capital One card may rebate those fees; I'm not sure. My policy is to do everything I can to avoid fee-charging ATMs, because if too many of those fees have to be absorbed by my ATM-card issuers, they may change their policies.

The ATM-fee situation varies by country as well as by bank. I'm not sure I've ever run into a fee-charging ATM in France, but it's a very different story across the border in Spain. Don't let your guard down!

Posted by
5322 posts

Over half of the ATMs in the UK are run by so-called independents. The majority of these make no charge - it is the ones in small retail shops, pubs, hotels etc that may do, and not always then. Fairly rare for a bank-owned ATM to be off their property, and I can't recall ever having one attempting to charge. However, DCC is common across all operators, but not universal.

Posted by
35 posts

You are definitely all good to use this card there. That is the primary debit card I use for traveling in the UK and elsewhere in Europe when I want to withdraw money from my account to get local currency. I have never had an issue using it anywhere. You also do not have to call the bank to alert them to travel. Happy trails!

Posted by
27039 posts

I'll be back in the UK in about a month and will pay attention to the ATM situation. I went to so many countries last year where a lot of ATMs charge fees that my memory about the UK may be faulty.

Posted by
7 posts

My bank happens to belong to the Allpoint ATM network. Generally in England Allpoint ATM machines are outside Co-Op grocery stores among other businesses, which I looked up using my bank's website. My debit card also worked in other bank ATMs (e.g. Barclay's); I was charged a fee in that case by the owning bank and my bank.

Just now I tried Capital One's website searching for in-network ATMs in England, and I didn't have much luck. If you have their card already, did an information pamphlet come with it? The search screen on Capital One's website includes the Allpoint logo, and yet I couldn't get search results for within the UK.

If you don't have the Capital One card yet, I would question them about their network availability. If you bank somewhere else, your bank might very well belong to an international ATM network as does mine.

Posted by
3516 posts

People seem to have a hard time understanding: Capital One 360 Never Charges ANY Fees For Using An ATM. No Fees for transactions anywhere in the world, at any ATM you choose to use no matter what. No wasting time when you need money trying to find a specific brand of ATM.

Capital One is a member of Allpoint, but that is to save you from being charged by the ATM owner for getting money. But it is not required that you use an Allpoint ATM.. This is mostly important only when using your card in the US and probably Canada as most ATMs you find here will charge you an access fee of around $5 and if you don't want that charge you should look for an Allpoint ATM in the States. As more European ATMs begin to charge fees, finding an Allpoint ATM might become more important in Europe as well and hopefully Capital One will include those in their search tool, but for now it just doesn't matter.

Posted by
5322 posts

ATMs in the Allpoint network in the UK are basically the ones operated by its parent Cardtronics through its UK subsidiary. As an independent operator these are usually in or outside shops.

Posted by
50 posts

We used it in London in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Also in Ireland in 2016, Paris in 2017, and Barcelona in 2018.
I first tried it to buy a train ticket at Paddington station, but now I usually go to an ATM machine inside or outside a major bank and withdraw about 300 pounds at a time, to have cash for small purchases.

Last summer we spent 4 days in Iceland, where we didn't want to get stuck with leftovers of their unique currency. So we used the debit card for every small purchase, like ice cream and souvenirs.

We've had no problems and no fees. Just be sure to deposit plenty into the account before you leave home.

Posted by
4 posts

Capital One debit card is fantastic. We used ours all over Italy last summer, big places and small, and had no trouble whatsoever. And no fees, just as they say. Will be using ours again next month in England.

Posted by
3989 posts

Go to Nerd Wallet website to read the review of this card as it will verify if there are truly no international transaction fees, ATM fees, etc.