Please sign in to post.

Cambridge | Festival of Nine Lessons & Carols | Christmas 2019

I am planning to travel to Cambridge, arriving December 23, in an attempt to attend the Festival of Nine Lessons & Carols. I understand I will have to stand in line in the wee hours of Christmas Eve morning in order to get a ticket, and I am planning to stay at the Doubletree .5 mi. from King's College Chapel.

Do any of you have guidance regarding strategy or what time I need to be in line to get the ticket, as well as possible travel from Cambridge to London or Paris on Christmas Day (I understand public transportation will not be operating on Christmas day)? Alternatively, I'm researching self-guided walking tours or hikes in and about Cambridge I can take on Christmas day. I will not have a car. I'm also researching restaurants or cafes (pubs) that will be open on Christmas day as I am not interested in purchasing a prix fixe Christmas Dinner.

Thanks!

Posted by
9566 posts

Reminder that public transportation in the U.K. is severely limited to non-existent on Christmas Day and the day after, so be careful what you plan for those days. Someone who knows the system better than I will explain the details and if there are any exceptions, etc.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks, Kim. Yes, I understand public transportation will not be operating on Christmas day, and I updated my post to clarify that detail. I'm hopeful someone will have some additional information about options for reasonably-priced transportation on Christmas Day - or suggestions for some great walks or hikes since I may be stuck for the day.

Posted by
32742 posts

Not only are trains sleeping on Christmas Day, they sleep on Boxing Day too. There is often one National Express bus between Heathrow and Victoria Coach Station but don't expect any others to run on Christmas Day and only some on Boxing Day.

I don't know about local buses in Cambridge. I visit there frequently but I've never researched their buses over the week between Christmas and New Year.

The changes in effect last year are at:-
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/stagecoach-christmas-bus-timetable-changes-15546162

Now that I've looked at that, I see that last year National Express ran a few services from Cambridge direct to Victoria Coach Station in London for the first time. I have absolutely no idea if they will repeat the experiment this year. These sort of information stories usually come out about a fortnight before Christmas - maybe you will be lucky and information might be earlier this year. Probably not because public transport relies on staff working overtime and volunteering to work on the holiday - and the union has to agree the pay scale for those special days, and that doesn't usually finish until the roster is posted.

You will see that last year there were no local services in Cambridge on either Christmas Day or Boxing Day.

The week between Christmas and New Year is usually the time of year when the railways do their most major projects, often closing entire London terminus stations and putting in extensive diversions. That won't normally be posted any earlier than 12 weeks out, and maybe not that early.

Two things that I would not normally advise are renting a car to go to Cambridge as parking is difficult and expensive, and the same in London, but in some towns and cities parking restrictions are lifted on Christmas Day - but not usually Boxing Day - so that might work if you can get it early enough and return it late enough to work for you; or having a taxi. They will probably be working to some degree but the prices will likely be through the roof and Cambridge is not exactly close to London.

Or find a nice place to stay and enjoy Cambridge for a day or two over the Christmas season.

Good luck - this isn't an easy nut to crack and still keep a hold on your pursestrings.

Posted by
32742 posts

Depending on the weather walking the Backs is always lovely. Maybe hire a bike. Over Bridge Street, up to the Castle and then turn right to go along the river, and back through Jesus, maybe. Maybe a walk to Grantchester but I don't know what the pub will be doing this year, but if open and you book a dinner, have a little browsing and sluicing and then head back the way you came...

I've never done a Christmas Day walk in Cambridge - although I know the city well - so I hope others chime in....