Please sign in to post.

Cambridge Day Trip

We are in our young 80's and after our RS BOE tour we want to go to Cambridge. We leave about 9:31 and get there about 10:30. Itinerary: Trinity College and Wren library, 2 hour walk with guide from TI, Fitzwilliam William, and ride on a punt. If I buy return tickets for 6 or 7 pm., can we come home on an earlier train if we get too tired? My husband has 2 knee replacements so he gets tired of museums and tours etc, I am perfectly capable of staying longer, but it would ease his mind if he knew he could come home early.

Posted by
4309 posts

After 9:30, you can walk up and buy anytime return tickets. I'm not sure that's as cheap as advance, but it's not bad and provides maximum flexibility and I don't have the stress of a set time.

Posted by
32732 posts

£38.10 anytime tickets return per person are valid on any train all day.

If you travel outbound after 9.30 from Kings Cross or St Pancras (earliest available is 9:31 from St Pancras or 9:42 from Kings Cross - they are stations across a street and effectively one large area) you can go for £26.20 per person. With that off-peak you can return on most trains at any time in the afternoon or evening, just walk up and get on with your off-peak return tickets.

If you were doing as much a £100 worth of total trains I would suggest saving a third with the Two-Together Railcard but if this all the trains you are riding it doesn't pay off - you have to pay £30 to buy it plus two photos.

Posted by
970 posts

It's a bit of a walk -- a mile or so? -- from the station into the center of Cambridge.

Posted by
32732 posts

It is a bit of walk into town. There are frequent buses. Or you can visit the Botanical Garden just across the street and then in to town.

Posted by
5678 posts

There is also a taxi stand right outside the Railway Station. There is another taxi stand on St. Andrews just beyond where it splits into Sydney and Hobson. That's a long block east of the Market Square. There are buses too, but I've not yet figured them out. I ought to, but since I'm usually there on business I default to the taxi. Panther and CamCab are the two I've used the most. Both have apps. :)