Please sign in to post.

Cambridge

Do you think Cambridge would be a good town to use as a base for 6 days while we see it and do day tours in the area? Thanks

Posted by
4140 posts

I will be spending a week in Cambridge in October . I've been there before and loved the place . The colleges show a stunning variety of beautiful architecture . There are numerous museums and historical sites , and short distances outside of the city are the Cathedrals at Peterborough and Ely . It is also appealing for me , as I am fond of Academia , the life of the mind , and obviously College Towns .

Posted by
902 posts

My husband and I spent four nights in Cambridge last June. It was fantastic. You can take a train to London in 45 minutes or go on to Oxford via London. We rented a house on AirBnb which was lovely and a close walk to the colleges. We like the tv program, Grantchester, and walked from Cambridge there. Great hike along the backs of the colleges, along the River Cam and through cow pastures.

Posted by
81 posts

Cambridge is a nice place and Ely nearby is also lovely. If you have a car, then perhaps. For me six days could be a bit too long if using public transport.

Posted by
2407 posts

I spent a week there years ago and it was fine. Spend some time in Newmarket

Posted by
27122 posts

Saffron Walden and Bury St. Edmunds are attractive towns near Cambridge.

Posted by
1450 posts

If you are interested in WWII; RAF Duxford Imperial War Museum is only a 10 minute drive from Cambridge. It is the largest Aviation Museum in UK. It is easy to look and book online.

Posted by
677 posts

Lots of wonderful things to do in and near Cambridge. I used to live nearby and these are some of the things I liked and can suggest. If you like National Trust Properties there are several nearby. Anglesey Abbey, Gardens and Lode Mill are just on the outskirts of Cambridge. Wimpole Estate is also nearby. Audley End House is a National Heritage Property not too far away. The Imperial War Museum at Duxford has its focus on aviation and sits on an old military airfield. The Cambridge American Cemetery and Memorial is also right outside of town. Lots of pretty nearby towns, Newmarket ( famous for horse racing), Ely with a beautiful cathedral and a quaint riverside, Bury St. Edmunds, the city of flowers, Lavenham (my favorite - the small town with the crooked timbered houses). If you have a car, a great daytrip but further away, about an hour and twenty minute drive, would be a trip up to see the Queen's estate at Sandringham.

In Cambridge itself the Fitzwilliam museum is very good. There is an interesting daily market at Market Square in the city center. There are great views from the top of St. Mary's Church.

Posted by
4140 posts

For anyone here who is also enamored by Cambridge , this play from 1985 based on a story by Jefferey Archer is touching and beautifully done . It was broadcast on PBS back then , and for anyone with a romantic bent , it's wonderful . In five parts - " Love Song " with Michael Kitchen , Diana Hardcastle , Constance Cummings and Maurice Denham https://youtu.be/Y2YIKQ5T1dY

Posted by
992 posts

I grew up around the Cambridge area. While I agree with Pat there are lots of interesting places to visit in the city and surrounding areas. But if this is your first-time visit to England, I would suggest you split your time with another location. Cambridge has many tourists and most are on day trips from London or are staying in the city for 2-3 days. Some stay longer if they are visiting students at the University. Would Cambridge be your only stop on this trip? If you can provide more specific information about your trip, interests, and plans, then we can be more helpful. While Cambridge is lovely, I would not suggest a week-long visit if you will miss out on some other parts of England.

Posted by
1446 posts

Thanks for all your replies. Very helpful. My husband and I LOVE the UK, and we have been there 27 times - all to different locations. So, we have been on a day trip to Cambridge. Hopefully next June we will be going again with our daughter, son-in-law and 3 grown grandchildren. They have never been. Since I've been so many times, I'm charged with putting an itinerary in place - I've actually completed 5 sample itineraries for them to choose from, but I myself am leaning toward Cambridge as a base. We will have a car. The thinking is that we would leave Heathrow and drive to Cambridge and check in to a hotel. We do want to see the Fitzwilliam and go punting, plus see the museums in Cambridge. I'm thinking a day trip to Leicester - we've been there before and love the King Richard III attractions. Day trip to Ely for the cathedral and a boat trip on the Fens, drive to Kings Lynn, see it, then on To Sandringham. Check out and head to Banbury for Broughton Castle. Next, the Cottswolds and spend a couple days there in the villages. We will drive to Heathrow and drop off car and train into London for a couple days before flying home. I will admit, my husband I have been to all these places (something new would be nice), but I'm thinking it could b a very great trip for our family. Does it sound OK?

Posted by
992 posts

With seven people on the trip, you will need a people carrier (mini-van). Your itinerary is rather interesting, considering this will be a first time trip for some of the other members of the group. Leicester and Kings Lynn would not be high on my list. Also, from Sandringham your next stop is Oxfordshire and the Cotswolds which is totally in the other direction. I would train to the Cotswolds from Heathrow first then pick up a car. You will not really need a vehicle for Cambridge or Ely and parking can be a pain, but having a vehicle will be the best way to explore East Anglia. If you are heading to Sandringham then the Norfolk coast maybe a better area to explore. Personally, I would totally rethink your itinerary. The first timers will want to have some "wow" moments and see some familiar landmarks.

Just another thought, You could just keep going West from the Cotswolds and take the group down to Devon and Cornwall. Some lovely beaches and villages to explore there. This is where the Brits go on holiday! BTW June is my favorite time of year to visit England. I will be going myself next June.

If Cambridge is your choice, I will give you a tip about punting especially as you will be in a large group.. Negotiate with anyone trying to sell you a ticket. They will keep going down. I think we paid £12 per person when we did this in 2022.