Please sign in to post.

Buying train tickets at the station

We will be able to buy most of our train tickets in advance. We will have a car to drive through the Cotswolds, to Blenheim Palace, and then to Oxford to return our rental car. We will then take a train to London. Without knowing how long our car travels will be that day, and how long it will take to return our car and get to the station, I am hesitant to try to guess what time we will arrive at the Oxford station. Is it a problem to buy a ticket at the station?

Posted by
4684 posts

No, there will be machines and a staffed ticket office. Fares are not especially high on that route either.

Posted by
27112 posts

The best I can tell from a quick look at nationalrail.co.uk, the walk-up fare for the off-peak time period will be 27.30 pounds. That's not an exorbitant price, but buying the day before might get you an Advance fare (many are available right now for tomorrow); a lot of the Advance fares are 12 - 17 pounds, but I also see some at 7 or 9 pounds. I'd be tempted to pick a time I thought would be safe if I skipped dinner, then if I was early enough I'd have dinner in Oxford.