Please sign in to post.

Buying Railcard at Station

We will be visiting England in September and want to take advantage of the Two Together Railcard. We will be buying our railcard at the Windsor/Eton Central Stn, prior to our first train trip on our vacation. I assume this is a busy station and I am trying to get an idea on how early we should arrive. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get the railcard, once you present your info to the agent at the station? We will download and fill in the application in advance and will have our photos with us. Does it take just a few minutes or much longer? I am just trying to plan our first travel day and the whole train experience is new to me. Thanks for your help :)

Posted by
32517 posts

You are right that it is an exceedingly busy station, what with all the tourists from all over the world and Windsor Castle and such.

Almost all of the station has been given over to shops and other retail including a whole selection of coffee shops and restaurants.

The booking office is now much reduced in size and often only has one person behind the window, so depending on the time of day that you arrive there may well be a queue.

The two carriage train shuttles back and forth through the park to Slough station and if you intend to go to Oxford or the West you may just cross the platform to Platform 2, or you may have to go up and over the footbridge, which you will definitely have to do if you are going into London Paddington.

If you miss the little shuttle train have a seat. There is a long long bench on the platform. It will be back in 20 minutes.

If you are standing on the platform at Slough, any platform but 1, stand back when trains approach. They pass through the station at between 100 mph and 125 mph, and create quite a lot of wind and vacuum.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you Richard and Nigel! Great information. I will likely drop by the train station the night before we leave, after the day trippers have left. Then I don't have to worry about the possibility of a long line the following morning and possibly missing our connection in Slough.