Please sign in to post.

Budget Paris or London for a week in February

It's been 4.5 years since I was last in Paris and 7 since London. I'm happy to be in either for about a week in February. The main reason I haven't been is that rooms are so expensive in good weather.

I've posted the same question with more detail on the France forum here Please respond there for either city.

Thanks,
Chani

Posted by
7689 posts

I am not fond of touring in cold weather, but if you like museums, they would not be crowded in February in either city.

Both cities have great museums.

Posted by
75 posts

Chani,
My husband and I spent a week in London this February and it was wonderful. The weather was actually perfect for walking (50 degrees or so) and somewhat sunny. Our days were full of museums, theater, good food - all that you would desire for a week in London.

Enjoy.

Posted by
27237 posts

You might find a really good rate for a not-quite-central Premier Inn in London for that time period, especially if you are willing to take advantage of the non-refundable option. The savings vary by location and how far in advance you're booking, but I think you might get a 30% discount with a non-refundable reservation. I'm sure you know the Hubs are the low end of their corporate offerings.

If you're not claustrophobic, check to see whether there are any Point As in London.

If you value a hearty breakfast (apparently not skippable to save money), you might check Vincent House, which is one long block north of the Notting Hill Gate tube station. I've used it twice when my visit was in September and I figured being without air conditioning wasn't very risky. It's primarily student lodging, but when I've been there the residents have mostly been over college age, so I'm not sure what the market is. Also don't know how much space they'd have for tourists in February. En suite baths. I believe the beds are all small; that's not an issue for me so it's not something I necessarily remember. I believe you have to email to check on availability, but there is a website for information. I think some of the other student lodgings in London may be less expensive (check London School of Economics), but I'm not sure all rooms have en suite baths.

Posted by
170 posts

Airbnb accommodations in Paris may provide you the best value in my experience. The Euro is also cheaper than the pound (let’s see what happens on October 31).

I think you can eat cheaper in London. There are lots of free museums in London. Almost everything you would want to see is free admission. You can get by in a day in London for the price of a Tube pass, a coffee and a £3 hot dog. I just don’t know about accommodations.

Posted by
15607 posts

Thanks, Kevin. As it turns out, most of the responses were on the France Forum and were for London. I've decided it's London this time.