Please sign in to post.

Buckingham Palace Tour

We will be in London in September and I've read that the palace tour is available while we are there. The website shows that there are several different tours you an take. I would love to hear from any of you who have taken one of the tours. Which one is best for "first timers"? Are there discount tickets available?

Thanks for your help.

Posted by
231 posts

I've done the Royal Day Out tour; it included a tour of the State Rooms, Queens Gallery, and the Mews. I thoroughly enjoyed them all, but the State Rooms are spectacular. It's good fun to see them pop up on TV and you can say I've been there!

I'm not aware of any discount tickets. On the contrary, the tours are incredibly popular and you enter on a timed ticket basis with about 300 other people every 15 minutes.

Posted by
3951 posts

Two years ago we did the basic State Rooms tour and were very satisfied with the time spent in the palace and time to linger along the garden at the end. We probably spent 2+ hour waiting (had timed tickets), touring and lingering. I'm not a big stately homes person but this was unique and so full of history that we get glimpses of from time to time. Well worth the cost and time since you'll be in London when the palace is open to visitors. Watch the BBC series, The Crown, before you go.

Posted by
1203 posts

I bought my timed ticket for the Royal Day out and am really looking forward to it. Thank you Mincepie for stating that you enjoyed the tour. There were several tours to choose from and so hard to decide which one to go on! Finally said, well I will make the most of it and see Buckingham Palace once so I might as well do as much as I can. I have never been to Buckingham Palace, only saw the outside of it. This will be interesting and fun and I do love period rooms and palaces and castles.

Posted by
13934 posts

I've done the Royal Day out tour a couple of times. This tour also includes a visit to the Queen's Gallery and the Royal Mews. On both occasions I particularly wanted to see the exhibition at the Queen's Gallery and would recommend the Day's Out ticket only if that exhibit is of interest to you. I love this tour and yes, it basically takes me 3/4 of a day to do.

This season the exhibit at Queen's Gallery is on Canaletto. (He is one of my favorites and I ~might~ have to make a special trip to London just to see this exhibit!)

https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/whatson/event/813258/Canaletto-&-the-Art-of-Venice

As you tour the State Rooms of Buckingham Palace there is an exhibition area there too and this year it will display Royal Gifts.

https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/collection/themes/exhibitions/royal-gifts/buckingham-palace

I also love to visit the Royal Mews. Usually in the summer there are only a few horses in residence. Last time I was there the docent was saying the horses have the summer off and get to spend it at Hampton Court! (And I asked at Hampton Court and no, they are not on view, lol!) Some of the Royal Coaches/cars are on display as well.

Posted by
824 posts

Sue,

We did the Staterooms Tour a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Although other "special tours" were available, I'm fully satisfied with the standard Staterooms Tour.

You may be able to get a slight discount on the admission if you have purchased a London Pass but I don't know the details. I wouldn't necessarily purchase a London Pass for that reason, though. I have purchased a London Pass in the past and I feel it's a pretty good value if you plan to do a sightseeing blitz. Otherwise, the London Pass is more of a convenience item (pre-paid admissions and skipping the ticket window queue).

If you decide to go, some things to keep in mind.

• You will receive a entrance time window.
  • You will go through airport-style security.
  • Large bags/backpacks are not allowed (opportunity to check on site).
  • No restrooms until the end of the tour so prepare accordingly.
  • There is a café set up on the palace grounds for refreshments at the end of the tour.

Good Luck and have fun.

Posted by
548 posts

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. It sounds like something we would really enjoy. Headed over to their website to book our tour.

Posted by
6501 posts

I took the State Rooms tour last September and really enjoyed it. I believe it included a short tour of some of the garden area too. I wasn't interested in the exhibit at the Queen's Gallery, or in the Mews, so skipped those. But I'd highly recommend the State Rooms, a unique opportunity to see them. Plus you can tell people "I have an appointment at Buckingham Palace on (date/time)." ;-)

Posted by
2186 posts

We booked our tickets for a time that put us inside the palace during the changing of the guard. Quite fun to hear the band from the inside. Do be aware that if your timed entrance is around the time of the guard changing, there will be crowds to fight through. And, they do not like it you're late. When we did it, facing the palace, the entrance was to the left. Great tour.

Posted by
112 posts

We did the BP tour two years ago in September. All the prior responders have given you the-how-to do-it. It is one of those once in a life time events that few get to do. We got our tickets online before we departed to London. Then everything unfolded as outlined by the fellow responders. Highly recommend.