Please sign in to post.

Buckingham Palace "State Rooms"

First off...thank you Rick Steves for this forum. I use you exclusively for my European travel.
We are visiting London in September and want to visit the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace. I see that there are several tours including the gardens. Thoughts?

Posted by
7175 posts

I took the State Rooms option in 2012 and it gives a fantastic inside view of the opulent official functioning rooms of the Palace. If you have more time, wish to see more art, and have an interest in horses/carriages, then consider the Royal Day Out.

Posted by
13955 posts

I have not done the option with the gardens, but I did the Royal Day Out in 2013 and 2014. Both times I wanted to see the exhibition that was showing at the Queen's Gallery. One year it was the Tudors, last year it was the Georgian Era. This year it is on gardens. If you are considering the combo ticket that includes the Queens Gallery and the Royal Mews, then only do so if the exhibition is of interest to you. THe Mews are interesting, I love to see the coaches but they usually only have a few horses on display. I was told in 2013 by a docent in the Mews that the rest of the horses go to Hampton Court for vacation while the Queen is out of town!

The State Rooms are always interesting. About halfway thru the rooms there is a special exhibition, not sure what that is this year but whatever it is it will be good.

Posted by
3391 posts

I highly recommend a visit to the State Rooms...an excellent audio tour is included in the price and it's interesting to see the places where so much history has taken place. Do go into the gardens; you can have tea on the rear terrace of the palace and walk the path around one side that leads through them to the back gate.
Make sure to make your reservations as soon as you have solid dates - they sell out.

Posted by
70 posts

The extra bit this year is a State Dinner exhibit. There's a large area with glass museum cases describing all of the different "butlers" pantries -- glass, plates, cutlery, etc. Several dresses the queen has worn at State Dinners. A few really nice jewels, including the Russian Tiara.

The table is set in the next room as if for a State Dinner.

I loved it!