Please sign in to post.

Buckingham Palace changing of the guard

Will be on my own (no tour or guide) so would like to know where is the best place to position myself to view as much as possible?

Posted by
23343 posts

As close to the iron fence as you can get. Otherwise you just don't see much. Unfortunately you may need to be there a couple of hours early to grab a spot.

Posted by
11232 posts

There will be crowds in front of the Buckingham Palace railings. Try to be as close to the front as possible. Google “Changing of the Guards” and it will give you the information you need.

Posted by
27230 posts

Including suggestions for alternatives, I suspect. From what I've read in recent years, the experience is nowhere near worth the time it requires.

Posted by
32922 posts

early, railing, early, patience rewards.

I hope you enjoy it.

Most people find that once is enough for them.

Remember to get there plenty early.

Posted by
2078 posts

We got there early and not by choice. We were left of the gate at the fence. By the beginning of the change, people were everywhere. We hung onto the wrought iron fence, as people kept trying to push us aside. Once was enough for me.

Posted by
1832 posts

I prefer the changing of the Horse Guards off just off Whitehall Street. It happens every hours and used to be less crowded. Google it to see if you would like to see this, too.

Posted by
2428 posts

As we were walking to the palace, we heard a band playing ( the A-Team theme ! ) to the left of the palave. We followed the sound and it was the bamd warming up. Soon it made its way to the palace. Enjoysble and virtually no one there.

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you to all that gave me tips: so nice of you and truly appreciated. Think I’m one and done on the Changing after today. FYI the RS audio podcast on Traveling tips London is out of date as it says to be at St J at 10:50. That was 40 minutes too late.