Please sign in to post.

BritRail Pass Help

Hello!

My husband and I will be traveling around England (first time internat'l travel!) for several weeks in May, and I am having a hard time trying to figure out what would be more cost effective for our travel between cities in regard to rail passes/tickets - it's stressing me out!! I've looked forums and guides, but just keep getting more confused as to the different rail companies and what all would be covered with a BritRail Pass England and for the best price. Any help is appreciated!!

Here is our itinerary:

Wed, May 8 : Arrive in Heathrow and go to Canterbury
Fri, May 10: Day-trip to Dover and then back to Canterbury
Sun, May 13: Canterbury to Oxford
Tues, May 15: Oxford to Gloucester
Fri, May 18: Gloucester to Bath
Sun, May 20: Bath to London
Sun, May 27: Leave from Heathrow

Any recommendations to save the most money? Tips for traveling between these cities? Thanks!

Posted by
2513 posts

Ignore the different rail companies, it doesn’t matter.

Price out your journeys using this http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Look for Advance tickets – they are the cheapest and save you money.

Once you have a total price compare with the rail pass. A pass offers you convenience and flexibility but at a cost. As you know your destinations and dates it’s very likely buying tickets for each journey is better value.

Posted by
2513 posts

On your first day take the tube from Heathrow to St Pancras then train to Canterbury (Advance fares St Pancras to Canterbury from £13.60)

Canterbury to Dover £9 return

Canterbury to Oxford – Cheapest way is Canterbury to London Charing Cross (£10.10) then tube to London Marylebone; Marylebone to Oxford (£5.40)

Oxford to Gloucester (£10.50)

Gloucester to Bath (£11)

Bath to London (Advance tickets not on sale yet)

Posted by
5332 posts

The cheapest single from London to Oxford presently is £5 with GWR fro Paddington. However it does need to be booked at least 17 days in advance which is a bit unusual.