Please sign in to post.

BritRail Pass

I will be buying four BritRail passes for our 2 week vacation. I see that it offers a saving when buying it in a group of 3 or more. It does state that you must travel together. For the most part we will be traveling together. However we have one person who is older and has some issues with walking that might want to stay at the hotel. Question if I buy a savers pass as a group and at one point that individual does not want to go on a little part of our adventures does that mean our train tickets will not work? Thank you for any information you might have.

Posted by
16893 posts

It's fine for one person to sit out a day. Conductors don't care if you "overpaid" that day. You must all be present to show your passports when having the passes activated and you must carry all the passes together when traveling, even if they look separate. (I believe that BritRail saver passes still are not printed on a single document, which the Eurail Saver passes are.) Don't leave a piece with the person staying behind (and they can't use it to travel a different direction).

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you! Great information. I was so worried about not being able to take the train if one of us stayed behind.

Posted by
32523 posts

All three tickets must stay together. If you are checked and have 3 tickets and two people that will be OK. If you are checked and have two out of three tickets and two people that causes a problem.

Posted by
2384 posts

Are you sure that you need the Britrail Pass? Many people say that it is not worth the expense. I suggest you come back with your thoughts about where you are going or just check out www.nationalrail.co.uk for your journeys. Put in dates about 11 weeks out from now to see the advance prices - though this does tie you to specific trains. Then check pay on the day prices - if you get up early!