Please sign in to post.

Britrail London Plus Pass

Hi, all,

My husband and I are going to London and Oxford mid April, and staying in the area for about three weeks. We're looking forward to touring and visiting the sites, but we're not wanting to try to pack in so many places that it isn't a restful, relaxing vacation (next time!). We're staying in London for a week, then going to Oxford for the second week, before returning to London to fly back to the states.

I've had the Britrail Pass (specifically, London Plus Pass, to match the areas we'll be in) recommended so we can do day trips from Oxford and maybe from London, but there are a few websites to choose from with purchasing it, as well as one with travel protection offering. Any recommendations? I've seen some discouragement from even using the Britrail Pass, but it seems like a reasonable deal, and, I assume, less of a hassle than buying train tickets one at a time. I'd appreciate any thoughts on that, too.

Thanks in advance!

Posted by
2508 posts

why not compare the price of the pass versus tickets then decide if it's a good deal

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

there can be substantial savings if you look for Advance fares

you pay for convenience with the pass yet it's hardly a hassle to buy tickets

Posted by
2 posts

I will look at individual tickets prices. I feel the pass will create extra opportunities for spur of the moment trips, beyond what we could create an itinerary for now, without needing to include additional tickets in our daily budgeting. I appreciate the link, though!