Please sign in to post.

British Pounds

Hello everyone, we will be staying at the airport hotel at Heathrow, arriving late afternoon and leaving at early flight in the morning. this is after spending much time outside of the U.K. question, do i need to convert US dollars to pounds, do we need any cash? can we just use credit cards or U.S dollars if need to be? i'm asking as i need to know if i should arrive with pounds or not. thanks so much.... this is for tips and stuff like that too.

Posted by
2518 posts

dollars are as much use as pounds are in the US

go to an ATM in LHR if you need a few pounds

why tip?

Posted by
4376 posts

If youre not leaving the airport, charge cards should be sufficient

Posted by
7580 posts

For the expenses you will have (Hotel, Meals, maybe Taxi) credit card should suffice. London and the surrounding area has shifted well over to a plastic economy, locals use a card for nearly everything, even small purchases of a couple Pounds.

Any needed tipping as a result of service (Meal, Taxi) can be done with payment, though read up a bit on tipping, not as prevalent as in the US.

Posted by
23343 posts

You might pick up 50 pounds just for change. Credit card should be fine but US dollars are not easily accepted. AND -- if they do - you will be screwed on the exchange rate.

Posted by
533 posts

Is your hotel in the airport or just near it? Most businesses in Heathrow are used to people just passing through on their way to somewhere else, and they accept a range of foreign currencies (dollars, euros, etc.) Yes, the exchange rate is poor, and whatever change you get back will be in pounds. But if you have some euros (or whatever) leftover from your trip that you want to get rid of anyway, using them this way might be a reasonable option.

Additionally, I'm not aware of any place at the airport that doesn't accept credit cards. For the short amount of time you'll be there, I wouldn't think you'd need to get any pounds in cash.

Posted by
1326 posts

I'd stick to credit cards. There should be no need for cash at an airport hotel or anyplace in a huge international airport such as Heathow. I've spend leftover pounds at Heathrow, but that was after a UK trip and I wanted to spend all my pound notes and high value coins.

Posted by
175 posts

thank you for all the detail advises. my concern in regards to having cash on hand was that tipping the bellman or anyone giving us exceptional service. we are staying at the London Heathrow Hilton, which is at i believe terminal 3 or 5, can remember on top of my head. mostly that is what it will be used for, other than that the plastic is everyone's favorite and easy way. i believe we can even purchase tube tickets with credit cards so i guess we should be ok.

Posted by
4009 posts

Yes, the tube's ticket machines accept credit cards. If you think you'll be return to the UK in a year or so, you can always use a cash machine and save what you don't spend on tips or anything else for your next trip.

Posted by
4376 posts

I don't remember seeing a bellman at the Heathrow Hilton-we always carry our own bags there. If you are arriving at Heathrow airport from somewhere outside the UK, you will only need Tube tickets if you're going into London for dinner that night.

Posted by
175 posts

The Hilton does have s bellman as I have stayed there before. Yes, I am aware of the tube situation. Thanks for the input.

Posted by
1326 posts

Disclaimer: I've never used a bellman in the UK.

If all you're worried about is a tip to the bellman, I'd just give him/her a few Euros and apologise for not having pounds. There's an excellent chance the bell person will either be traveling to a Euro country soon or at least have friends/family/coworkers that are. It's not like you're tipping in Central African Francs or some other exotic currency.

Posted by
5306 posts

There's an excellent chance the bell person will either be traveling to a Euro country

As most bell people (predominantly men) are now of European, particularly Eastern, then Euro's would certainly be of use.

Posted by
175 posts

Awesome, thank you everyone, I just want to make sure that I don't offend anyone by giving them currency that is not of their own country. This makes me feel good. Thank you all for your help!!!

Posted by
14580 posts

If you have GBP use them if you don't intend to return to the UK. If you're out of GBP, then using a credit card fine. After going through security at Heathrow flying back to SFO, I always go to that famous eatery, located very close to end of security. Of course, that restaurant takes a credit card. I always take GBP (bills and coins) home since I intend on going back.