Please sign in to post.

Bristol England

Looking for any information for Bristol England. First time to England and we will be driving and want to stay somewhere around here. We see plenty of information on Bath, but wanted to check out Bristol. We will be there in December 2016. Thanks for any suggestions.

Cyndi

Posted by
533 posts

I lived in Bristol for two years. What kind of information specifically were you looking for? Things to do, places to stay?

Posted by
14 posts

Yes places to stay, we want to make this a home base for a few nights and travel to the area's around there.

Posted by
533 posts

If it's mostly Bristol itself you're coming to see, I'd recommend staying in one of the hotels in or around St. Paul's Road in Clifton - for example, this place or one of its sister hotels. Clifton is a lovely neighborhood (and I'm not just saying that because it's where I lived) - it's mostly residential but has plenty of small shops and restaurants all around, and it will give you more of a feel of being a temporary local.

But if you're planning to hop in your car and drive out of town every day, it might be more convenient to stay somewhere with good access to the M32, the motorway that cuts right into the city center. A quick look at Google Maps turned up this, this, and this as options. However, they're also right in the middle of the main downtown shopping area, which makes for more urban hustle and bustle and less local charm, in my opinion.

As for getting around town, driving might be tricky (I don't know, because I never did it), but it might also be the best option. The Bristol bus system is hard to figure out and can be expensive. Walking everywhere is an option - it's a fairly compact city and nothing's very far from anything else - but only if you're prepared to climb some very steep hills.

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks for all the wonderful information. The reply's are helpful. Thanks again.
Blessings, Cyndi