Please sign in to post.

Bristol

Hi All - My daughter is in London for a few days before traveling to Bristol for work. Any tips on this city that I can pass along? Restaurants, shouldn't miss sights, evening watering holes? thanks in advance -

Posted by
148 posts

Thanks - I have copied and forwarded the info. Good idea! - D

Posted by
353 posts

I spent a day in Bristol about a year ago. There is stuff to do that doesn't involve traveling to another city. Let me gather my notes and I will post info soon. What dates will she be there?

Posted by
148 posts

Motorgirl - she arrives Bristol this Wed evening (tomorrow) and returns to London Sunday evening. Your notes will be appreciated, thank you.

James - Wed morning/afternoon she is stopping in Bath on her way to Bristol to have a look around. Thanks.

Posted by
533 posts

Sorry not to have seen this earlier. I lived in Bristol for two years, and enjoyed almost every minute of it. I hope my comments are still useful for her remaining time over the weekend.

The city's claims to fame include the Clifton Suspension Bridge (plenty of good views from the park on the eastern end, don't bother crossing over to the other side - there's basically nothing there) and the SS Great Britain (a very well-done reconstruction of what life was like onboard a Victorian era ship). If she's into seeing "sights," those are two of the best ones.

The Red Lodge and the Georgian House are two very nice (and free) historical house museums. Unfortunately, they're both closed for the winter, but I mention them anyway for future reference.

For those who are unafraid of steep, narrow staircases, Cabot Tower in Brandon Hill Park offers good views of the city.

Clifton Village (the area around Princess Victoria Street) is a good neighborhood for restaurants and watering holes. (I may be biased, though, because that's where I lived.) Another good area is Whiteladies Road, around where it meets Cotham Hill.

The St. Nicholas Market on Corn Street can be fun to explore. On various days of the week the indoor market is supplemented by outdoor markets with different themes: http://www.stnicholasmarketbristol.co.uk/ Note that the whole shebang is closed on Sundays.

Finally, it's not very uplifting, but the preserved ruins of St. Peter's Church in Castle Park are a thought-provoking reminder of the damage done in World War II.

Posted by
353 posts

OH NO! I just remembered to come back to this! Her time in Bristol is slipping away...

Stay tuned.....

Posted by
353 posts

khbuzzard has already hit a few of the things I was going to recommend, so I will just second the following:

• Clifton Suspension Bridge (nearby Clifton has lots of cafes, including the White Lion pub which has a big patio where you can have a pint and a bite and nice views of the bridge and river)
  • SS Great Britain
  • St. Nicholas Market - http://www.bristol.gov.uk/nav/st-nicholas-markets

And add:

• Cabot Tower - climb it for great views
  • Llandoger Trow Pub - 1644 (possibly the oldest in Britain ; half timbered ; rumored to be inspiration for Treasure Island)
  • M Shed Museum (Bristol life & history - http://www.bristolmuseums.org.uk/m-shed/ )
  • There was a lot of activity - bars and restaurants and people strolling in the area near the aquarium
Posted by
148 posts

Thanks All - she had a splendid time in Bristol - unfortunately her days were spent working at a trade show her evenings, however, were out and about town. She enjoyed it very much.
I want to thank all of you who posted - your insights were on point and helpful. I have copied and forwarded her your posts because it looks like it is Bristol again next year!
Best - D

Posted by
533 posts

That's great to hear, Don. Bristol is a fine city that's often underrated. I'm glad to hear that your daughter enjoyed her time there.

Posted by
87 posts

Hi all
I'm thinking of home basing in Bristol at the Marriott Royal for 3 nights/2 days as a launching pad for day trips to Bath and The Cotswolds. I'll take the train/bus to Bath and our hotel says they can hire a driver for the day to the Cotswolds - how does that sound?
Thanks!

Posted by
533 posts

For context, I see you're the poster who wanted a base in either Swindon or Bristol so you could use your Marriott rewards points.

Given that, I think you've got a reasonable plan. If you're looking for things to do in the evenings, you might see what's on at the Hippodrome or the Old Vic, two interesting historic theaters within a few minutes walk of your hotel. There's also Colston Hall, but I've never been there.