Please sign in to post.

Brexit in April 2019

I am an American citizen travelling to the UK from April 5 - 26th. The latest I have heard is that Brexit could happen without a plan on April 12th. Is there anything I need to know or be cautious of as a traveler?

Posted by
8649 posts

No one can say. London will open for business as usual is my perspective. I wouldn't change your plans.

Posted by
4573 posts

I can understand having uncertainties. Be glad you are not a Brit. I don't think there is anything you can do other than pay attention to the news when April 12 comes around. It is still going to be using the Pound so you can still shop. One can expect most if not all tourist activities will continue. The only thing I can think it impacting is the availability of food items....that seems to be something that the locals are stockpiling....so maybe some menu items are limited. You can't do too much to be prepared for that other than some packages of granola bars or food if in a short let apartment.

Posted by
6113 posts

Who knows what will happen. It’s a farce and an embarrassment. Few want a no deal, so 12 April hopefully won’t be of any relevance.

It shouldn’t affect your trip.

Posted by
11160 posts

As already stated, no one really has any (good) answers

For US citizens the rules really will not change. My guess is there may be more people in lines at passport control and the 'express lanes' will no longer be available to what had previously been defined as 'locals'

I suspect the question(s) is/are crystallizing into " why are we in this hand basket,...... and where are we going?"

Posted by
32714 posts

nope - nobody has a flamin'

Check again the 13th of April.

My guess is the "government" will still be flapping about.

Posted by
1278 posts

After the results of the ‘indicative votes’ the other night we now know what we can tell the EU what we don’t want. Really helpful. Not.

Yes, no idea what the hell is going to happen. Exchange rate might be in your favour based on today’s results!

Ian

Posted by
7514 posts

I think the only thing that could be said is if your trip is only to the UK, then assume no problems, maybe a delay if they shift EU people into the "non-UK line). If you are continuing on to what are other EU countries, I would assume delays, show up early, if only due to a higher volume of people (UK residents in the "non-EU line) or just due to confusion.

Posted by
786 posts

We're connecting through Heathrow at the end of April. We've decided that we'll just roll with whatever happens because we have zero control or any idea what may occur. We figure the worst case is the lines are longer, we're delayed and we get a later flight to Edinburgh.

Posted by
14950 posts

I arrive in London the evening of April 11. Normally I wait until the next day to go to the supermarket. But considering today's vote, I'll go that evening so I can make sure I have food before the nation runs out and we have Armaggedon. ;)

Posted by
1446 posts

I was just going to ask a Brexit question but I see many have been asked. We arrive on May 9 and return home on May 23. I see the comments made that food could be an issue. So restaurants might not be serving? Is that right? We will only be in the UK during our time there - London, New Castle, Durham, Nottingham. My husband said perhaps we should reconsider going but I sure don't want to. Nobody right now has any idea what to expect - is that right? Thanks.

Posted by
1942 posts

Nobody has to worry about food shortages yet. More likely the only one who has to worry is May about being PM. My guess is the UK will still be holding votes until May 22 and that the EU may extended the deadline.

I don't think much will change for tourists-other than witnessing a fiasco of epic proportions.

Posted by
5256 posts

The only thing I can think it impacting is the availability of food items....that seems to be something that the locals are stockpiling.

Are they? I've seen or read absolutely nothing that suggests this is happening, where did you hear about it?

Posted by
392 posts

No one who is the slightly bit rational is stockpiling food. The cows aren't suddenly going to go on strike because of Brexit.

Posted by
4573 posts

I am the one who set the cat amongst the pigeons with the stockpiling comment. I will confess I read in on CBC News feeds.....along with the potential plethora of UK spring lambs who might not make it to market across the Channel...so with further thought there might be lots of meat for the tables😉 Perhaps the stockpilers are just looking for a media justification for their actions. I believe that was January activity so old news.
I did not say restaurants wouldn't be serving. I said at worst perhaps not everything on the menu.
I wouldn't change plans, just watch and listen.

Posted by
1323 posts

If we knew a category 5 hurricane was hitting London that day, I’d tell you to change your plans. I follow UK politics avidly. I don’t know what will happen with Brexit, I’d just continue planning your trip.

Posted by
11160 posts

I see the comments made that food could be an issue. So restaurants might not be serving?

Nazi sub wolf packs and incessant bombing during WW2 did not make the UK extinct through starvation, so ( some?) rules changes on food imports are unlikely make it happen.

Perhaps a particular French brandy may not be available, but a lack of food causing the closure of restaurants ...... not a reasonable concern.

To answer OPs original question, the only thing to 'need to know', is that getting around London may be a bit slower with the citizenry out in large numbers making their views known about what Parliament has( has not) done.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you for the replies. I will continue to plan my trip as normal and enjoy my time!

Posted by
3993 posts

I am an American citizen travelling to the UK from April 5 - 26th. The
latest I have heard is that Brexit could happen without a plan on
April 12th. Is there anything I need to know or be cautious of as a
traveler?

Yes, you are to have a good time. As a foreigner, you are as much "affected" by the UK leaving the EU as a Japanese, Kenyan, or Peruvian traveler is.