Please sign in to post.

Booking flights

When traveling with 4 people to ensure all are on the same flight, how far in advance is it recommended to book flight? Thank you!

Posted by
5687 posts

To where and when? Going to Venice in July might be a different choice than going to Berlin in January.

Posted by
27104 posts

Most travelers care about the fare as well as being sure the entire party travels together. For that purpose it is ideal to monitor fares for some time before you need to make the purchase. That gives you an idea of the normal range of ticket prices so you can go into action immediately if you see a price drop. If you're flying in and out of London from a major US city, you may have quite a number of decently-priced choices. If you're starting in a place like Missoula, Montana, it may be a different story.

Posted by
6113 posts

If you know your travel dates and are happy with the fare, then there is no reason not to book straight away. Are you referring to flights from America to England or from England to elsewhere in Europe?

Flights within Europe on the value airlines such as with EasyJet can be booked as far ahead as October 2019 at present and with the legacy carriers, usually up to a year ahead.

If a flight for tomorrow isn’t full, obviously you will still be able to book 4 tickets, although whether you would all be able to sit together is a different issue. Flights for summer travel in school holidays are already expensive.

Where do you want to fly? When?

Posted by
991 posts

I use Chicago frequently to get to London Heathrow (LHR). You are lucky to have direct flights from ORD to LHR taking about 8 hours. Chicago is a hub for American Airlines. There are day time and evening flights to choose from. The day flight leaves at around 9:00 am in the morning and gets to LHR at 10:45 PM. I do enjoy this flight because I book a hotel at Heathrow (Terminal 4 Premier Inn) to sleep off my jet lag. If on the other hand you choose to take an evening departure you will arrive the next morning at LHR. I do find that the further ahead you book, you get better pricing. (but keep watching the route your like). American now has basic economy. Looking at a random date in October it is pricing out at $426 return. Main Cabin is $540. You will have to choose main cabin if you want to select your seats together. These are very good prices. Don't forget to either get independent travel insurance (such as Travelguard) or buy the insurance through the airline.
Margaret

Posted by
3996 posts

Chicago to Heathrow - October. Have not flown in ages and find
everything very confusing

This could not be easier. If you know how to type a post on this forum, you can buy airline tickets. As others have said, you can choose nonstop flights from ORD. Pick from United, American and British Airways. Select your dates, select your seats, pay for the tickets using your credit card.

What you need to pay close attention to is typing the names of all 4 people EXACTLY AS THEY APPEAR ON THEIR RESPECTIVE PASSPORTS.

If you are buying the tickets, have all 4 passports in front of you so YOU CAN SEE the exact way the names appear as you enter their names for the tickets. Some people don't realize that their full middle name or just the initial is on their passports because they don't look at them often.

Also, ask if any of the 3 have Global Entry so you can also enter their "Known Traveller Number" if they have it.

I wouldn't wait too long to buy them. Don't wait until the spring for example.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you everyone - and to Continental - good info about entering correct names on tickets. Appreciate all the replies so much.

Posted by
16241 posts

To be sure of traveling on the same flights, book all four travelers as one transaction. That way, if flights are cancelled or schedules change ( which happens frequently with American Airlines), you will be kept together through any changes.

If you book four separate tickets, even if they are on the exact same flights, you could be split up in the even of changes or cancellations.